Wrong Home Voltage

I got a new toaster and it says it needs 120 Volts AC. My home voltage measures 116.8333333333...(infinity) volts. (on my Sperry Meter). I am a perfectionist and I will not allow this new toaster to be plugged into an improper voltage. I called the power company and they told me there is nothing to worry about. I told them they are the ones that have to worry if I contact my attorney and sue them for charging me for inferior power. My attorney is working on the case, but in the meantime I'd like to find a transformer to boost the voltage to precisely 120 volts AC as required. I know that using any other voltage will not make toast of the desired brownness as indicated on the color dial, and could damage the electronics within the toaster. This is unacceptable. Where can I buy a transformer that will produce precisely 120 volts AC? I already had an electrician change all the wiring in the kitchen from #14 gauge to #6 gauge to eliminate wire length resistance loss, in the hopes that the voltage would rise to the proper level, but that did not work, so I told him not to change the wiring in the rest of the house, and will put my energies into the lawsuit against the power company, since it's their power that is faulty. I am also demanding a refund from the power company in this lawsuit for the amount of incorrect voltage. Since the voltage is about 3.2% below the recommended rating, I am going to demand that I be refunded 3.2% of all of my electric bills since I connected to their grid in 1982. All these years I have paid for 120 volts, not 116.83.... and I demand a refund for that amount. I am also going to demand that they pay for all appliances that have failed since we moved into that house in 82. There's been 5 or 6 tv sets, several dvd players, several toasters, washers, dryers, furnace motors, an electric range, air conditioner, radios, stereos a record player, shavers, vacuums, hair dryers, and a whole lot more, plus my expensive computer who had power supply failure. By the time this is over, I plan to own their company. They have a lot of nerve to tell me nothing is wrong while they continue to bill me for 120v and only furnish 116.83.... Utility companies are all crooks, but this one is much worse. They're thieves and liars too.

Reply to
rebel2000

Tom Kendrick

He says, as he reposts the entire thing....

Reply to
Doug Miller

Don't forget to get a transformer for your braain that has the proper voltage. I'd say about 4000 volts at 50 amperes would be about right for you. But chck with a tech to be sure

Reply to
Jack

Hmmm, Perfectionist? Is your meter calibrated? Are you perfect? How about 120V +/- 10%? Did you neasure the voltage at the entrance to your house? With no load and witout load? You don't pay for the voltage. You pay by energy used; kwh. I pay 7 cents per kwh here. I think you're trolling!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

good luck sueing the power co. ,,if you really are.. my voltage was going up and down constantly/slowly from about 109 to 128 one time and it was the ground wire on the supply line from the pole had bad connection. i noticed it when i could feel a fan changeing rpms/.. lucas

ds549

The outlets in my office at work jumped to 210 volts recently and actually made fire shoot out of the power supplies of the computers under my desk.

Maintenence people wouldn't give me a straight answer on what happened but I figured it was probably a ground issue like you had.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

IT balances out. Mine's 122 - 127 most of the time. What you don't get, I do, so they won't entertain a lawsuit.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I think an easier solution would be to put a 3.17VAC battery in series.

You'd have to replace it every once in a while, but the voltage would be within tolerance.

EL

Reply to
Eric

Terry

Sounds like an electrician screwed up and no one is telling.

Reply to
Terry

My grandpa died from the wrong voltage. He was 86, and died in bed with two twenty year old "entertainers". The autopsy showed he wasn't wired for two twenty.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

You actually owe the electric company money. They are '110' outlets. You are getting 6.833333333333v free of charge. Who is the crook now....

Reply to
sonofabitchsky

Just be sure to pay extra when the current goes above 120. It's only fair. Mot convinced you are adequately prepared to be a part of the 21st century. Maybe a generator tied to an exercise bike might help you make up the difference in voltage. Excess voltage could then be charged back to utilities. Soon you will have bike paid for.

Reply to
franz frippl

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:54Fri.46484$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net:

LOL

Reply to
Al Bundy

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:sf0ua317m3vooct6578ive8bg60ld0u62o@

4ax.com:

Do you realize even if you get 120.0000000 v it could still be wrong? You need to get an oscilloscope and check your waves at various time intervals.

Your waves may be clipped and therefore you are getting clipped by the power company.

These things will surly make your toast cook uneven. Don't forget to JAM IT, he-he.

Reply to
Al Bundy

tolerance.

[snip]

They use those things for testing TV sets.

Reply to
Harry

And don't forget power factor. A power factor that is not exactly 1

+/-.001 can severely distort your toast. You should contact the power company immediately to have them run a power factor test. If they find an error greater than .5% (.3% in Canada or 6.66% in Kansas) they are required to correct it.
Reply to
Harry

Actually depending on the amount of correction needed there's a trick.

If you wrap a small strip of aluminum foil all the way around the toast so as to create a "shorted turn", the eddy current in the foil will correct the power factor.

;^)

EL

Reply to
Eric

AC battery? I was gonna call you out on this until I decided to Google first. :)

Reply to
Terry