Would sound deadening paints work in my application

Hi,

The hardwood on the second floor bedroom above the kitchen is 3/4 pine over bare joists. The ceiling in the kitchen is now open and I have a chance to insulate for sound. I am aware of a number of ways to reduce sound and I want to ask a specific question about sound deadening paints that are available on the market.

My hope is that our daughter sleeping on the second floor will not be awakened by our kitchen conversations. Would a sound deadening paint work if I were to paint the bottom of the hardwood floor?

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

The best solution to stopping sound conduction is to construct a ceiling that is isolated from the floor joists above. Or with limited attachment points. Never tried any sound deadening paint but hard to see how it could do a lot. This site has some suggestions,

You could use the staggered wall stud strategy for ceilings and floors as well. Just run your ceiling framing between the floor joists but slightly lower. Zigzag some insulation between.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Sound deadining paint, also sold as insulating paint that is supposed to reflect heat back into your home and cut utility bills dramaticly, which it doesnt work for that aplication either, I tried it. Id say it is a scam unless you can find and verify testing,

Reply to
ransley

Fill up the spaces between the ceiling joists with insulation, even carpeting scraps, if you can't put in a false ceiling as somenone recommended doing.

Reply to
hrhofmann

false cieling using sound deadening drywall. spray foam insulation between cavaties. fill false cieling with closed cell foam, generally used as insulation

Reply to
hallerb

I know you're writing because the ceiling is open now, and so I have little to say except that the ceiling deadening webpage didn't mention carpeting or padding!! I guess the thicker the better, also when she falls out of bed, the thicker the better!

And stop fighting with your wife. :)

Reply to
mm