This is a *very*
long post, but would I appreciate it if the group
regulars would soldier through it, because I need to make a decision
but still have some time for weighing pros and cons.
I accidentally stumbled onto the prettiest, most unbelievably
reasonable 3 room bungalow in an unfashionable and increasingly
crime-ridden section of my region. The elderly bachelor brothers
selling it live next door and have put a new roof on it, surrounded the
entire property with chain-link fence, put in new wall-to-wall
carpeting, and even put teeny-tiny new replacement windows in the
foundation where old (and I suppose) rotted unopening "ventilation"
panes used to be.
The home comes with new appliances included, a poured concrete
basement--even with an old coal bin room newly painted. Although there
are signs of water damage in the main floor ceiling I was able to
detect through the new satin paint, the roof is definitely new.
The home is in a region that experienced a nationally-news-covered
flood @ 35 years ago, so strong it wiped away homes much much larger
than this. I assume the home was either entirely reconstructed on the
original foundation or else rehabilitated in such a way that I noticed
no mold whatsoever *in the subflooring.*
My problem: This is a privately-sold home, and because the brothers are
asking such a low price for it, they have been inundated with offers to
buy it. For some reason I don't understand, they agreed to show it to
me but told me a "neighbor's son" was "ahead of me." They then said in
a very ambiguous way (that I think has something to do with their age)
that even though the kid hasn't come up with a mortgage, they still
won't sell it to me...yet.
Last night the brother handling the sale phoned and said he's "sick and
tired" of the kid and will "keep me informed" about what their lawyer
tells them to do.
I have contacted them at cautious, non-impolite intervals the past two
weeks and pressed them about when they're going to make a decision.
What I'm worried about is their reaction if I request a home inspection
(I'm assuming that as far as my pre-approved mortgage is concerned, the
bank appraiser will pass the home with flying colors).
I have previous disastrous experience buying a home "As Is." The
experience was BIBLICAL, robbed me of the best years of my life, *but*
was responsible for me learning to (among other things) do my own
plumbing, work with cement professionally, and install deadbolts in
steel doors. In other words, I can do a heck of a lot of DIY stuff if
But I'm almost 50 and want this 3 room bungalow because I'm a lady
getting tired of buying herself presents at Harbor Freight. (I just
missed out on their special on chain-saw sharpeners!) Since most of
the regulars on this group are guys, and guys are still strong at 50,
I'll put it this way: how many of you would risk 35K on a property such
as I've described if you had one hand tied behind your back?
IIRC, I contacted the local cops to investigate whether this might be a
blighted property (murder scene, drug house, etc.), and the young
policeman told me not only was the neighborhood one of the best in the
little borough but that the Chief at one time lived across the street
from this property.
Apologies again for making this so long, but I've gotten some good
advice here over the years and would appreciate "What's the Worst That
Could Happen?" answers.