Workbench design. Viable?

MDF.

I have gone through several of these, and even with good support, sometimes they sag. They are attractive, inexpensive, and easy to work with. But they are weak.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Nah, this is a very undemanding application. Light, clean work (hence the laminate). I need quick and cheap. A little sag (within reason) won't hurt either.

And the chances are that within 3 years it will be moot, one way or another. I don't need 20 years life out of this.

I wouldn't use the proposed approach for heavy woodwork, engine work or anything like that. Think in terms of something more like office work.

I don't have too many worries about a countertop supported on a good frame of 2 by 4's.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

an old flat solid door from the habitat recycle store. it comes with a cable hole already drilled for you.

Reply to
chaniarts

And maybe a window too.

Reply to
Vic Smith

snipped-for-privacy@malch.com (Malcolm Hoar) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.sonic.net:

some people like to build things to last;"heirloom" work,hand them down to children or for later sale. "if it's worth doing,it's worth doing right".

(I mean no reflection on your intended purpose.)

ah,a laminate countertop is just about right for that.

Well,happy building!

Reply to
Jim Yanik

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Gary Player. |

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

HD used to sell metal leg sets for projects like yours. Has punch out for outlets and support for storage shelf underneath. I made my top out of scrap 1 X lumber(recycled pallets) there ar inch gaps between some of the boards. Made it all look pretty with hardboard. Looks nice and when the hardboard gets beat up I can easily and cheaply replace it.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

They're cheap even new. That's what I'm working on now.

Neat! I've never seen a desk that comes with windows pre-installed.

Reply to
krw

Thanks for all of the help guys.

Project complete. Does exactly what I wanted. The support frame is absolutely rock solid.

Malcolm Hoar