Work Bench Lock

I bought a used workbench at an auction. It has a particle board top and metal bottom with 5 tool drawers on the right side and a door on the left side. Its nice and I got it for little money because there is a missing shelf under it. A piece of plywood will take care of that. The only problem is that the door on the left has a key lock. There was no key with it. I already found out that I can bust it off by flipping the whole thing over. The only problem is then there will be no latch to keep that door shut. I really do not want a key, but if there was one, I'd just leave it in the lock all the time. Since there is no key, I need some sort of lock. The lock is the same cheap locks they use on these file cabinets and metal organizer boxes they sell for home offices. I know replacement locks can be bought, but I really want to eliminate the lock entirely and just have a handle that turns. I am posting this to find out if anyone knows if they make something to fit the holes from those locks that is just a handle that turns? That would be ideal if there is such a thing. My other thought is to see if I can remove the lock without damaging it, remove the tumbler, and JB Weld an eye bolt in there to serve as a handle. I know that would work, but that depends on what is left to the lock after I pry it open.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

Why not try to drill out the lock cylinder? That will free the lever on the back and you can attach some mechanism to is to operate it from the front as a handle. Busting and prying is not the way to go.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Those locks are usually easy to open with a couple of paper clips. Then you can remove the lock from the back with no damage.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Ditto that, and if you need to study up a bit, try my alma mater's Guide to Lockpicking:

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia