Crown moulding question

Lots and lots of questions! There is an article at This Old House that offers lots of pictures:

And there is a second article at Ehow that goes into alot more detail that you should find helpful:

sedulous05

I never installed crown moldings, but now my wife thinks the dining room really need them.

The moldings is about 5" wide so I figure the edge will be some 3-3.5" from the wall and the ceiling.

The wall must have a header so there may be some solid wood to nail but the ceiling is probably just plaster board.

Where do the nails end up usually? Is there some solid wood behind for the nails to bite, in the usual construction? Are small ringed nail in the plaster sufficient to hold the moldings firmly? Do you suggest finishing nails or ringed nails? Is the moldings nailed only on the studs? The ceiling joists are a possible nailing spot but it works only for two sides, the other two sides may have nothing running above.

Thanks for some hint on how is done.

MG

Reply to
MG

How would you like to do it with no nails?

Trim Tex makes some great looking, forgiving, easy to install moldings:

click on the crown molding picture.

Not related. No commission. Just a contented user of a good product.

DanG