woodworking/millwork question

I have had success resawing 1x4 IPE to 1/2" nominal using a Delta 14" band saw with a 1/2" 3 tpi Timberwolf blade. IPE is indeed hard but it is consistent throughout its width. I ran it through a jointer and a planer to achieve the proper thickness. I have also eased the edges with a router. In short, no major problems. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

jo4hn wrote in news:HqednVXor5Wg5GDanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

it would be a lot easier to resaw short pieces of the Ipe board instead of the full 8 ft. I'd cut a bit larger than the finished size of the plaque and then resaw the short piece,and leave the rest of the 8ft. board the full thickness,for other projects.

you could also use a 10" tablesaw and ripcut each edge of the [short]piece and then use a handsaw to cut any remaining material joining them. They would still need planing,and the tablesaw kerf would eat up more thickness.But for a 0.5" final,you probably can spare it.You just have to have a good sharp blade,feed slowly and use the anti-kickback guard.

You could even get closer to your desired 0.5" thickness,and perhaps hand- plane it smooth.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

You could try starting with Ipe flooring, comes in 1/2" and 3/4" thick,

4"-12" wide and 8'-20' lengths, pre-finished or unfinished, T&G or straight 90deg edges. Purchase an 2' long, 10" wide, 1/2" thick, unfinished, straight 90deg edge piece of Ipe flooring. Trim Ends. Route and finish edges. Commonly available and usually less expensive per board foot than Ipe boards of similar size.
Reply to
Joe

I've not cut Ipe, but I have cut Brazilian Cherry. Very slow feeding. I cut some down to 1/4" thick trim.

You have to take an hour or two to get the saw properly set up and you need a good sharp blade. The one I use for re-sawing is used just for that purpose. I also had a good teacher.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Just be sure to wipe the blood off if you happened to have skinned a 'possum for dinner first.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:DbALj.2422$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net:

Possum? How dare you! Protected species up here at The Lodge. Privledge to purchase duct tape revoked for infractions. But the dead ones go into Possum Lake. That's why they call it Possum Lake...ya know.

Reply to
Red Green

Kewl! Send me a mailing address. I have a possum that you will just LOVE! A powerful personality. Has me completely intimidated -- comes through the cat door and ****s up the cat's water dish. So now I have to slide the closer into the cat door every night. So now my cat, by now well-trained, goes in and out through a cat door in my bedroom door (yes, I had one cut in; long story), and through the miniblinds on my rear window. Scratched up the wallpaper below the window pretty good.

I'll even send him UPS if it will expedite matters.

Aspasia

Reply to
aspasia

aspasia wrote in news:47fef4d2$0$16681$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com: