Woodstove "plastic" smell?

On Wednesday, October 17, 2007 6:45:57 AM UTC-7, HerHusband wrote:

wn

rm

I am writing as have similar issue in two different stoves. The nasty che mical smell was very similar in both cases. The first stove i had was a " f ake : gas stove. The kind with flames but you cant burn wood in it. It was newly installed. When I complained about the smell that came and went ...bu t was most strong if the stove hadnt been used in a while. The installer sa id it was the smell the insulation emitted at high temps from the insert b ox. Fast forward 10 years , different country. Had a wood burning stove fo r 8 years...then moved and had to get new pipes to fit right. the bottom o nes are black heavy metal ones...hiher up they are shiny stainless steel ( I think) but the upper part is wrapped in rockwool covered in that metal looking wrapper. exact Nasty chemical smell again ..So it definetely eithe r the new black pipies or the insulation...( the stove never had it the sme ll in 10 years.( or th eolder black pipes either which at one time were new to me) .I thought it was the insulaion ...but could be the paint on the bl ack pipes. I am very sensitive to this chemical smell . I need to fix it ,,,, any ideas.
The ceramic sealant for the door/glass may be the odor you smell.  It's h orrendous, and you're likely to smell it in areas furthest from the stove.   Definitely chemical smell.  Solution:  disassemble the door.  Cle an all of the sealant off thoroughly.  Replace gaskets with a thicker sea lant (more caulk-like than runny black crap that comes with gaskets).  Us e the absolute minimum amount of sealant with new gaskets (Follow recommend ations).  This will help a lot, but may not solve completely.  Circulat e the air in your home, open windows.  Spaces where heat gets trapped emi t stronger odor.  Another option is to not burn so hot, and makes sure yo ur chimney and stove is cleaned regularly.
Paint smells similar, but slightly different.  So if unit or paint is fre sh, take unit outside and burn off out there for 4-8 hours first.

I never figured out the exact cause but I find I can mostly eliminate the plastic odor if I give the wood stove a good cleaning inside and out before firing it up each fall. Scoop out the ash, then scrub down the vent pipes at the inside top of the stove making sure the vent holes are all open. Also, wipe everything down on the outside of the stove, top, sides, and back. I pull the heat deflector off ours so I can clean that area well.
I don't know if it has something to do with dust that collected over the summer, or residue left inside from the previous winter. I still get a minor odd smell the first time I fire it up, but it is much less than before I adopted the super cleaning each fall.
On Wednesday, October 17, 2007 9:45:57 AM UTC-4, HerHusband wrote:

Possibly the carbon build up on the inside of the unit itself. When the damper is closed just a little too much(not enough to emit smoke)on ours, we experience a very unpleasant smell. This didn't start until the unit was at least 2-3 years old.
On Wednesday, October 17, 2007 8:45:57 AM UTC-5, HerHusband wrote:

wn

rm

Hey guys I realize Im way late to the party but we have lopi endevor have h ad it for 4 years last couple it has been making a plastic chemical smell, I was wondering if any of you have nailed down a true reason. Im wondering about the incorrectly cured paint. When we first bought the stove I had tro uble burning it exactly the way they recomended be our wood ended up not be ing seasoned enough for this stove. Everything I burn now is two years seas oned and I only burn hedge. I have burnt junk mail with some plastic on it but I would think a couple 600 degree fires would deffinently make the smel l go away. would love some feed back the local stove shop were we bought it thinks were nuts.