Woodstove "plastic" smell?

I've a PE woodstove and the previous owner did not follow the instructions for the bake in of the paint. The smell was there 10 minutes after start up every time. It recently required a touch up on paint but I decided to kill 2 birds by having the unit sandblasted. I repainted and followed instructions on bake in - problem solved. I suggest If all else fails you do what I did.
replying to HerHusband, yooper wrote: i have had the same problem for over a year since replacing my chimney from clay tile to stainless steel. any more ideas?
James Schultz
On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 11:44:07 AM UTC-6, yooper wrote:

I knew as soon as I saw the date of the original post it had to be one of the village idiots at HomeMoanersHub dragging this 9+ year old thread back up.
Hi James,

I'm not sure what would cause the smell in your installation.
In my case, it seems to be due to dust that settles on the heater over the summer. It will burn off after a warm fire or two and the smell goes away. However, if I take the time to clean the heat shields and wipe down the woodstove, I can start my first fires without any smell.

May not be your problem but if you have small children could they have parked a toy in a blower vent on the unit?
Mine did and took a long time for it to burn away. -:)
On Thursday, October 18, 2007 9:30:25 AM UTC-4, Colbyt wrote:

OMG! I had the same problem and just couldn't figure it out! I read your post and sure enough, there was a damn little car in one of the blower vent tubes! I owe you one! Thanks ColbyT (-:
On 11/26/2013 12:02 PM, snipped-for-privacy@locksmithkeycodes.com wrote:

Colbyt was around in 2007 (date of the post).
Why would you think he is around now?
I haven't seen him for years.
On 11/26/2013 5:41 PM, bud-- wrote:

Nursing home, and doesn't have internet?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/26/2013 1:02 PM, snipped-for-privacy@locksmithkeycodes.com wrote:

Why are we reading message from 2007?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
------------------------------------- HerHusband wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 317606 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
Andre,

Unfortunately, no. We fired up the woodstove last night, for the first time this season, and noticed the chemical smell again. It was very faint, but still there.
I just cleaned the chimney and woodstove out last week, including vacuuming all the ashes and everything out so nothing would be left in there to create a smell. We don't have any kind of pad in our stove.
Like you said, it's frustrating... :)
Anthony

My pacific energy woodstove insert does that each year for the first few fires. I thought it might have been the crap atop the stove that makes it's way in each summer (dust etc) but that was not the case. I am convinced it is the paint. I think that the owner of the home before me who installed the stove did not follow the directions for the first fires that would properly bake in the paint job.

You say you notice it when the *fire* is hot, not when the *stove* is hot. That suggests the problem is related to creosote buildup in the chimney.
    Una

Just a poor choice of words...
The smell is most noticeable when the woodstove has heated up and I get a good fire roaring in it. If I damper it down, the smell dissipates.
I thoroughly clean our chimney every summer with the appropriate wire brush and rods, and completely remove the previous winters ashes, including vacuuming any ash that falls down the chimney and builds up on the top of the firebricks.
It has to be paint related, as it's the same smell we had when we first got the woodstove. I expect it the first few fires, but eventually I would think it would cure or burn off...
Anthony

The procedure for "seasoning" new stoves is to burn several small fires before burning a long, hot fire. During these "seasoning" fires, most of the paint burn-in will take place. But the first few times you fire the stove high, you may get some residual burn-in odor. After five or six fires, it should stop as it does with ours (1-2) burns. I know it's a hassle but if your continues to off gas paint odors I'd consider removing it, sandblasting the thing and repainting it then do a good seasoning of the stove. Or you can continue breathing in toxic fumes.

This is more consistent with creosote than curing paint, but since you say the odor was strongest when the stove was new, curing paint likely is the culprit.

Brushing won't remove much creosote.
    Una

How would you clean your chimney then?
My woodstove manual, and EVERY chimney care maintenance I have ever read recommends a properly fitting wire chimney brush and annual cleaning.
Anthony
Una wrote:

By brushing. The chimney benefits from brushing anyway, because creosote isn't the only issue. But to deal with creosote you have basically three options: burn only well cured low resin wood or be very judicious about which kind of wood goes in the stove when, use a stove that has a catalytic converter, or be prepared for periodic chimney fires.
    Una
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Woodstove-plastic-smell-258778-.htm hartsong wrote: We are using a wood stove in our basement to supplement heat and I have started to notice a \"plastic like smell\" especially when I've rekindled a fire and got it going nice and hot. Any ideas? Haven't used any paint etc. just burning a lot of wood keeping the fire going for heat in the house. Thanks for any input.
Bob
hartsong wrote the following:

Originally posted October 17, 2007.
--