wooden I beams?

what are those wooden beams that look sort of like an I beam called?...the ones made up partially of OSB? thanks, cj

Reply to
cj

A lot of people call them by a brand name - Trusjoist, also truss joist, or I-joist.

RicodJour

I-joist.

This one is called a "Canuk Lam"

Oren

I prefer the manufacture joists that use zigzagged 2x4's. You get more open space to run duct work, plumbing and power. Without having to figure out where it's ok to make holes. But the I trusses do require less height which is also nice.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 14:04:51 -0500, cj wrote Re wooden I beams?:

Wood I-Beam joists

Caesar Romano

But they also present more problems with fireblocking and such.

RicodJour

In SoCal, they are often referred to as TJ-I's short for TrusJoist I's

doesn't nearly everyone call a tissue .......Kleenex? or an adjustable wrench ....... a crescent wrench?

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

" I - Joists "

Reply to
Steve Barker

That is silent floor joist?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I honestly don't think I have ever done either of the above. I never even called copy machines "Xerox" machines. I did however grow up calling a vacuum cleaner a "Filter Queen".

Reply to
Tony

"Widowmakers" amongst the fire service.

Kurt Ullman

And if you have a flood the OSB turns to sawdust and the house collapses.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

I think if the "flood" is significant (like standing water) you might have bigger problems than floor joists getting wet.

Despite "popular wisdom" OSB (even though its not my favorite material) is pretty decent stuff. I posted while back about some work I did for a crusty old SE (he HATED OSB) would wanted to prove "that stuff is crap".

I built some cripple walls out of it, some sample I watered a couple times a day for a few weeks.....tested them against "un-watered" ones. No strength difference.

SO .......... OSB bashers (me included) it is a lot better material than one might think.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK