Wood Floor Repair

Hi;

Purchased a rental home with carpet from the 60's. It has nice hardwood floors underneath. There are two 12 inch spots where the wood is stained black. Do I need to cut these boards out or is there a way to bleach them out or stain them back to their original color?

Thanks Pat

Reply to
komobu

Try Oxycilic (sp) acid, available at good paint stores.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski
< snip>

Usually spelled oxalic acid. A common ingredient in automotive radiator flushes as well.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I also have pet damaged hardwood that I&#39;d like to refinish. I saw a post on a website that recommended hydrogen peroxide at normal drugstore strength (3%). I was doubtful, but it worked well on the first black stain I tried it on.

I did it like this: wet a rag or a few paper towels generously with hydrogen peroxide. Lay the rag on the stain. Put a piece of plastic on top of the rags. I set a pair of old work boots on top of the plastic to keep the rag in firm contact with the stain.

Leave the rag on the floor for 24 hours. Then remove and let dry. The stain should turn very light as it dries.

Reply to
Tony Sivori