Wood destroying organism advise sorted

I have a four poster wood bed (cherry wood I think) that I was not using, so I disassembled it and lean all the parts against the inside corner of a closet, for two years.

Tonight I had to look for something in the closet and noticed something on the floor where these bed parts leaned. They are very small, brown, almost invisible, the size of a needle pin. Don't know what they are, but there must be hundreds of them on the floor, are the droppings or eggs of some insects? Also on the floor I saw some wings, yes insect wings, about 12 to

15 of them, about 3/8" in length and 1/8" in width. Not sure what kinds of wings, dark colored.

I then looked at the bed posts and noticed some of them have these needle pin sized things. So I removed all the bed parts from the closet, and wipe them down, I then spray them with Lemon scented Pledge (I know that probably won't help, but that's all I have and I was hoping the scent will drive out some of these bugs if they are inside the wood). In the process of wiping down the floor, I also noticed in the closet I had a few cedar wood discs near where I had the bed parts (you know the ones you get to put in closets to deter bugs?) and some of them had holes (about 1/8 inch in diameter) on them. I raised one of them to the light, and I saw something crawling inside of it although I can't shake it out. I now have the disc inside a zip lock bag, hopefully the bug will reveal itself so I know what I am dealing with.

Can someone tell me what this could be? I don't know if something has infested the bed parts, or whether something has been infesting the inside of my walls and they came out from the closet to cause this. Can this be termites? I know the holes are too small to be carpenter ants.

What could this be, and what can I do to eliminate this bug, or treatment the parts to be free from further infestation. Is it not true that cedar wood is supposed to be bug free? Why would it be infested?

Oh, location is Miami Florida.

Thanks in advance,

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says... :) I have a four poster wood bed (cherry wood I think) that I was not using, so :) I disassembled it and lean all the parts against the inside corner of a :) closet, for two years. :) :) Tonight I had to look for something in the closet and noticed something on :) the floor where these bed parts leaned. They are very small, brown, almost :) invisible, the size of a needle pin. Don't know what they are, but there :) must be hundreds of them on the floor, are the droppings or eggs of some :) insects? Also on the floor I saw some wings, yes insect wings, about 12 to :) 15 of them, about 3/8" in length and 1/8" in width. Not sure what kinds of :) wings, dark colored. Here are a couple of links of drywood termite droppings..

Here are dry wood wings....
:) What could this be, and what can I do to eliminate this bug, or treatment :) the parts to be free from further infestation. Is it not true that cedar :) wood is supposed to be bug free? Why would it be infested? :) Cedar is not "bug free"..it can be "bug resistant" but termites will readily attack it at times. Your best option will be to probably contact a local, reputable company to take a look at them and tell you your options...stay away from the national companies to have less dealings with a salesman.

Reply to
Lar

spilt the disc open to get the bug out?

cedar discs are for moths but other bugs should not like it as well

once the aromatics ar gone though might be open season

Reply to
BobK207

OK I was able to squeeze out one of these bugs. I took a picture but I can't post it here so I posted it to alt.binaries.pictures under the title "Is this a termite?"

Can someone take a look and let me know if this is a termite? My wife told me she noticed the pellets before too (over six months) but the wings are new. Does this mean there is a big colony or can it be confined within those bed parts?

The picture showed the bug, the hole they came out of, and I put in a penny so you can tell their size.

If these are indeed termites, what types are they, does it mean they came from another location like the attic and only have a small satallite in the bed railings? or the entire colony is in the bed railings? I saw a series of holes about six of them, and they are about an inch apart. I sticked a pin in it and the cavity is pretty big.

Any advise on what to do from this point forward would be appreciated. I don't want to call a pest control company just yet and have someone come in and tell me horror stories with expensive contracts.

Thanks,

Reply to
miamicuse

Could be a seaonal reporductive thing.

Your picture has not show up yet on the server I use. If not a termite, it could be powder post beetles. You may be able to find a picture of them doing a Google search. I think they can be trated by wrapping the wood and fumigating but I'm no expert. With a little research I'm sure you will find the cure.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I replied an attached a pic but it did not show up. Hmm...could be posts with images are automatically rejected...oh well.

In any case, I have confirmed by comparing the bug I have with pictures on the internet that it is indeed a termite. A drywood termite.

Now I would like to locate where the termites are.

Some background:

Location: Miami. Single story house, CBS construction, has an attic, 8" monolithic reinforced concrete slab.

Location of the closet where this is found: interior closet, tiled floor, on the opposite end of the closet on the other side of the wall is the AC unit with ducts that leads up to the attic. This closet has an overhead hatch to the attic as well.

I have screwed wood railings around the perimeters of this closet at different levels, and then placed wood shelves on them. I also have taken apart a four poster bed, with the 4 posts, the railings, the head and foot boards, the slats all standing up and leaning against the corner of this closet. It is at the bottom of these posts I found the fecal pellets of these termites. I also saw the same pellets deposited on the posts.

On the wood shelves I have several boxes of books. toys, documents, and other stuff. Near the bed posts I have a stack of these cedar wood discs which I use on hangers to keep bugs away. I saw some tiny holes on these discs, and that's where I was able to isolate the disc in a zip lock bag and after an hour or so the termite crawled out and I took a picture.

I took out the bed post and slats and wiped them down with a moist cloth. I examined them and one of them I saw a series of holes. Using a needle pin I inserted it into the hole, I twisted the needle inside and it had room inside. Is this where the termite is? or have been? I took that bed post, spray some bug spray at those holes. Then I wrap the entire post inside plastic tarp and taped it tightly to the point I think it is air tight. It has been a day and a half, I do not see any termite crawled out dying.

I also cleaned out all the junk on these shelves, as I did that I was looking out for more pellets and termites. On some of the boxes I had books, I removed the cardboard box lid, and on one of them I saw a termite on the inside of the lid. I killed it. But I did not see anymore termites. Do they eat books too? Books are pulps that came from wood, so could these books have termites? I have not flipped through all of them (there are hundreds of them).

On the top shelve towards the left there, I saw a whole stip of these pellets. That's where the bed posts were leaning to. The pellets are very dense there, from far away, it looks like someone sprinkled cocoa powder on the white shelves. Among those pellets are some wings. However, these pellets are NOT directly below the hatch to the closet. At first I thought it made sense these pellets are on the top shelves, assuming they came from the hatch, but it did not. The hatch opening is a good foot over, and under the hatch, no termite fecal pellets.

I then removed the hatch door and climbed into the attic. A lot of insulation. I used a flash light and examine all the wood members in about a six feet radius, I did not see any termite or any pin holes like I saw down below. But it could be the darkness, but I don't think so. I did not pull up the insulation however to check some of them top plate though. I also did not see any wet spot of water damages.

So if it is not coming from the attic, where is it coming from?

I crawled back down and reexamine the closet where the shelves had the pellets and where the bed posts leaned against. Now these shelves are resting on some horizontal wood railings I screwed into the wall, on the top and middle shelf railing I saw some holes. Not a lot, may be two on top and three in the middle. I again inserted a needle inside, there are voids inside.

So my conclusion is that the termites are inside the railings, and when I leaned the bed posts against that wall, they came out eating on the bed posts too since the closet doors are always closed. The termite most likely is inside the wall, or may be already inside the wall studs. So I went to the other side of that wall, where I have another closet. Examining the clothes, and shelves, I do not see any sign of holes or fecal pellet on that end. However this does not mean much, since that closet door is typically open so the termites might have avoided that.

But the termites must have a source of water right? Where do they get it? From the AC system next door or through the attic? I don't see any termites in the attic (in fact I saw a few ants - by the way aren't ants and termites supposed to be enemies?)

So what should I do now? I probably need to contact a professional to come and take a look, but I want to know what questions to ask. I remember a few years ago I had a Sears pest control guy here and he tried to sell me a termite contract, did not bother to take a look at my house, did not walk around, did not get up to the attic. He basically said "you have termites. you are in Miami, the termite capital of the world. I can guarantee you have termites without looking, it is not a matter of whether you have it, it is a matter of when you notice it. See these horror pictures? you need to sign a termite contract..." I don't want to wait home for a day for a salesman to come and waste my time.

Any advice appreciated. Sorry it was so long winded, but I thought more infor is better.

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

After looking at some more pictures on the web, I am not sure it is a drywood termite. It may be subterrainean. It is white. One termite I found was very white and the other is a little darker in color.

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

Funny thing about rules... Some people enforce them even when they aren't convenient for you.

You need to call a professional out before you start messing with stuff. The pro may notice patterns that you aren't noticing and may make different reccomendations based on that. Wrapping in plastic doesn't do much good. Termites don't need as much oxygen as people do. The voids in the plastic likely have enough air to keep a termite happy his entire life.

The Sears guy wasn't far off. Everybody down here in FL has termites, had termites, or will have them one day. Not really a big deal as long as you notice them and have them treated appropriatley.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says... :) books, I removed the cardboard box lid, and on one of them I saw a termite :) on the inside of the lid. I killed it. But I did not see anymore termites. :) Do they eat books too? Books are pulps that came from wood, so could these :) books have termites? I have not flipped through all of them (there are :) hundreds of them). Just finding just a single termite is not the norm..I'd think it would be in your best interest to have the home inspected to make sure what is going on. :) On the top shelve towards the left there, I saw a whole stip of these :) pellets. That's where the bed posts were leaning to. The pellets are very :) dense there, from far away, it looks like someone sprinkled cocoa powder on :) the white shelves. Among those pellets are some wings. However, these :) pellets are NOT directly below the hatch to the closet. At first I thought :) it made sense these pellets are on the top shelves, assuming they came from :) the hatch, but it did not. The hatch opening is a good foot over, and under :) the hatch, no termite fecal pellets.

The pellets will follow gravity and be directly below where they are pushed out of the colony from.

[...]

If they are dry wood termites they get the moisture from the wood they eat. They do not have the same needs as subterranean termites. Also their colonies will be a lot smaller, compact so they can be found in a lone location such as a rail. :) So what should I do now? I probably need to contact a professional to come :) and take a look, but I want to know what questions to ask. I remember a few :) years ago I had a Sears pest control guy here and he tried to sell me a :) termite contract, did not bother to take a look at my house, did not walk :) around, did not get up to the attic. He basically said "you have termites.

When working with National companies you will be dealing with true salesmen first who are trying to get as much as possible for a job then the service techs later. Find a local company that has been proven to be knowledgeable and trustworthy...you have plenty of people living around you that might know of someone.

Reply to
Lar