Wiring up an external security lamp

I have purchased an external security lamp (with PIR sensor) from FOCUS I have two questions:

  1. Can I wire it up from one of the round junction boxes found under m upstairs floorboards? I have checked that the junction box is for light only.
  2. What wiring should I use? I have some 2 core, 23amp cabling but I' not sure I should use it. It has written on it "BASEC TO BS6004 6242Y
2x2.5+1.5 SQMM ALTIN 2005 4". As always, any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Chri

-- Chris Learmouth

Reply to
Chris Learmouth

I don't know what you mean by 'lights only junction box'. Not really relevant what the box is used for as long as you are not overloading that circuit with what you are adding. You need to find, (or rewire), a junction box that has a full time hot wire, not a box that goes totally dead when a light switch somewhere is turned off.

You should match the wire that is being used on the circuit. It will either be 14ga or 12ga. Look at the circuit breaker for that circuit. If it is 20A then you must use

12ga (12/2 w ground) If it is 15A then you should use 14ga wire (14/2 w gnd). Is your wiring all copper? Kevin
Reply to
Kevin Ricks