wiring question

I have a electronic countdown timer designed to replace an in-wall wall switch. However, I want to splice it into the cord of a small appliance (so that the appliance shuts off automatically ).

The time has 4 wires - black (line); white (neutral), Red (load) and green (ground). So, how do I splice it into the power cord of my appliance?

thanks

paul oman snipped-for-privacy@pauloman.com

Reply to
Paul Oman

The black and red are the switched circuit. Ignore the neutral and ground and splice that pair into one wire feeding the appliance. Be neat and do it in a box.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

since the load is switched, splice the white wires together.

Reply to
Meat Plow

personally i would make up a adapter cord. its easy costs little and makes it easy to change back if desired

Reply to
hallerb

I would get a two gang metal handy box, a grounded cord with a plug, and an outlet.

Wire the way others have said but wire the outlet to the load side of the switch. Add a cover plate and now you have a timer that works with any appliance and is up to code.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

The motor in the timer likely needs a neutral.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon