Wirenuts

It's easier, and better, to take a couple seconds to read the package and see what's recommended for that specific type of wirenut. There are many different kinds and designs.

Reply to
Pop

I worked for many years in an industrial environment and I never saw an electrician pre-twist the wires. They always lined up the ends and twisted on the wirenuts. We never had any electrical fires in the plant so I guess they knew what they were doing. Bob

Reply to
RobertM

"Dave" wrote in news:1137856312.938470.37830 @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Ideal makes a set screw wire connector that can be useful:

If you don't want to past that together then they're off this page:

You put the wires in the barrel, tighten the set screw, trim off the excess then put on the cap. Easy to verify by inspection and no twisting.

They are much more expensive ($.50-.75/each) than wirenuts and hard to find. McMaster-Carr sells them in small quantities.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Ditto.

I always twist, no tape. PS Knight (the Canadian wiring bible) makes a remark that it's usually a sign that the electrician stripped the wires too long, and the tape is to hide the bare bits. Went on to remark that an inspector will often tear the tape off to check the workmanship for just that reason.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

: : Ideal makes a set screw wire connector that can be useful: : :

EZ/prodcat.nsf/Tables/Set+Screw+Wire+Connectors?OpenDocument :

Hmm, that's a keeper; thanks!

Pop

Reply to
Pop

True. But usually only one, in my experience. Usually, unless you make a mess of it, all they do is press a thumbnail into the tape to feel for the edge of the insulation strip - it's not hard to find. I also leave a tiny "flap" on the end of the tape, just in case I want to untape it someday, and I've had a few "somedays" due to changed minds, too. He spotted the flap and used it to unwind the first one, then just "thumbed" the rest on my latest inspection. I like the tape because it keeps bugs etc. out and it looks nice and isn't that much trouble to do for me.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

Just checking to see if I could keep the link in a usable form.

Reply to
Thomas Horne

A friend of mine was a union electrician for probably 35 years before his death. He taught me to always tape wirenut connections. Neither he nor I ever used it to hide anything, and I never saw him make any connection that was less than perfect.

When I push my wiring into the box, especially a crowded box, I know that nothing is going to rub any wirenut loose.

Reply to
clifto

If you twist the wires together first, and snip off any ends that stick out a bit too far, you will get a perfect connection every time. It takes practice. Take wire scraps and practice a hundred times... Once you get it right, it will always be done right. The twisting is what REALLY makes the connection. The wirenut just makes the wires stay tightly together and insulate the bare ends.

Reply to
anoldfart2

According to Pop :

I've been known to tape outdoor connections (usually not AC), but I figure if I'm worried about bugs with wirenuts, those same circumstances will cause electrical tape to trap moisture and cause corrosion. Bugs are better than corrosion.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

LOL, obviously. Tape wrap collects moisture & bugs don;t?

Reply to
Pop

According to Pop :

Without the tape wrap it it can dry out. If the tape wrap isn't perfect, and/or deteriorates slightly, driven rain or snow can get in and stay there for quite a while.

Reply to
Chris Lewis