Wired, outdoor PC cameras?

I've got a couple of cables with damaged connectors and I figure I'll replace them when they start to annoy me or when they fail completely. I have replacement cables, but I'm not going to replace a working cable.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I've seen red connectors and black connectors, but I agree that non-clear connectors are rare.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Four friends of mine landed a job to rewire an entire 8-floor office building for their college senior project, so to make the job go faster they split into two crews. The result was that the even numbered floors used one wiring standard while the odd numbered floors used the other standard. After a quick pow wow, they realized their mistake and corrected it, but it was quite a bit of extra work.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Yes, as others have said. Thanks. I hadn't realized they were transparent.

Reply to
Ken Blake

Most _plugs_ are for stranded cable, they are intended for loose flexes (patch cables) between equipment and between equipment and fixed wiring (i.e. wall socket or patch panel). Most _sockets_ are for solid cable, intending for the fixed wiring through ducts, walls, ceiling etc where the flexibility of stranded cable isn't needed. Solid cable is simply a bit too stiff for patch cables, any bending forces translate through to the contact (even through the strain relief) and I've found they work loose in short order.

More common is sockets that can accept either solid or stranded cable. Solid is to be preferred for fixed wiring that is expected to make up the bulk of a run, since it has slightly lower losses than stranded, although in my home network I use stranded exclusively. If I had installed it all in one go I would probably have bought a 100m or 305m reel of solid, but the fixed wiring has gone in over time so it's a lower immediate cost to buy a 10, 20 or 30m patch lead and lop the ends off for the bare cable. But then the longest run in my home is 28m, and even that follows a very circuitous route, well short of the 100m limit so a little additional loss is acceptable.

Also while I'm posting I'll just pick up a terminological note elsethread. It's a crossed or crossover cable in a networking context, never rolled or rollover. The latter is generally construed to mean a cable wired 1-8, 2-7 etc. Used a lot in serial (RS232) over twisted pair which these days is something of a niche thing in a home environment, but still very widespread in commercial and industrial settings.

Reply to
Andrew Smallshaw

You're quite right, not sure what I was thinking ...

Reply to
Andy Burns