Wire gauge needed for amps

I was looking for a site that would tell me which gauge wire to use based on amps and length of wire.

Wanted to run 3 feet for a 15 amp load.

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
Andy

For short runs I would just use what is normally the code for house wiring. For 15 amps that would be # 14, 20 amps #12.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

If you use thwn-2 copper wire with 90c devices, then you can go as small as 16 ga

Reply to
Jack Legg Electric

The trick is finding that mythical 90c device. Screw binding terminals are only rated at 60c. (the ones you see on regular switches and receptacles). The "lug" type can be rated 75c but there is not much rated 90c.

That still does not deal with voltage drop and that may be what the OP cares about. A lot depends on the voltage you are dealing with. The voltage drop is a function of amperage and wire size but dropping a few volts at 120v is not the same as dropping that same few volts at

12v. That is why we really need to know the percentage of voltage drop, not the absolute VD number. There are plenty of VD calculators online
Reply to
gfretwell

That is what I'd use too. As for the length, it is ok for the size of you house so would be good for 3 feet. When you get to 100 feet or more voltage drop could be a concern.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski