Winterizing Central Air Conditioner

I had a Carrier central air system added to an existing Carrier furnace
this summer. The A/C is the split system type with an outside and
inside compressor.
The unit worked nicely during the summer. I was told at the time of
installation that no maintenance was required and to just switch the
thermostat to "heat" in the winter. Well, I did that, and the furnace
came on, but the outside compressor also came on. I called the
installer who checked it out and said I needed to pull out the fuse on
the outside electrical disconnect and set it in the "off" position.
I have talked to other homeowners, and none have to do this. Is it
normal, or should I call the installers back?
Also, with the A/C install, they replaced the thermostat. The furnace
is a two-speed model. The thermostat is a single stage heat/cool
thermostat. Am I losing the two-speed benefits of the furnace? Should
I ask for a new thermostat?
Thanks!
Reply to
himilecyclist
You need to call them back. you shouldn't have to worry about them both running at the same time. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Reply to
hvactech2
You do not mention if the unit is a heat pump. If it is then the outside running is normal. You say you have a 2 stage heater. If you do then you may need a different t-stat. The installer/service folks saw the unit and we can not. Two stages are nice sometimes, low for maintenance and high for catch-up. We can not know all the parameters of your installation. Call the contractor back and ask for the service manager to come out and show you what is going on.
Reply to
SQLit
As noted, if it is a heat pump, you want it to work during the winter. It is designed to do that. On the other hand if it is not a heat pump, you have a real problem and it is not fixed by turning off the current to the compressor.
Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Site Timeline Threads