winter is here in Central Ontario.

-10F this morning in Waterloo Ontario - DAMN THAT"S COLD!!!! Got another inch of snow overnight - so we are up to MABEE 5 inches so far for the winter. Furnace ran 5 hours and 40 minutes yesterday, and a bit over an hour and a half already this morning (to 8 am) including coming back up from set-back.

Reply to
clare

It's been cold enough here in N. TX the past week that the heat pump has spent a good amount of time on defrost cycle or just giving up and going to backup. Fortunately that only happens for a week or two each year.

Reply to
Pete C.

I forgot to leave the faucet dripping when I made coffee this morning ... and had to go out and thaw the outdoor faucet AND the inlet where the hose hooks to the camper . And it only took about 30 minutes to freeze . I dread getting the 'lectric bill this cycle , it's going to be high from the extreme cold . We're currently using a space heater as it's cheaper and much less hassle than LPG . Next month I expect it to be somewhat lower , as by then I should have the new room hooked up to the camper , and it'll be heated with wood .

Reply to
Snag

I would imagine you have a well insulated home. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Hi, We had it last week. logged -34C, wind chill -44C and snow about a foot. So far we have double amount of average snow fall for December. Lots of fender bender accidents, damage insurance claims tatal 13 million. dollars. Some gu slid off Deerfoot trail knocking off pole feeding our neighborhood, had power outage of 1.5 hrs. Other than that all is normal. Today it is +3C I walked the dog with bare hands wearing light wind breaker. from South calgary AB

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Always amazed me when we changed from 'hot air' heating to 'glowing electric' heater the difference in comfort. We went from bones chilling while sitting still and roasting when moving around, to feeling 'good inside' and feeling cool air when we moved around. Absolutely the right way to go.

I'm now convinced that with a good red-hot fire burning in a relatively cool room is the way to go. Fire burning in an appropriate location, of course.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Thankfully I'm not doing it any more but first week in December was time for annual service call on coal analyzers at a couple of power plants in Saskatchewan...on the stretch from about Dec 3 thru 6th or 7th highest daily max was -8F and low of -20-something F with one day of -33 F I saw w/ 18 mph winds.

That was at Coronach....I notice today it's moderated a little...

Here in SW KS almost due south by 600 mi or so we were only around the 0 to -2 F altho NW KS has been much colder as per usual. It's moderated here beginning this week, though, more nearly back to normal or even slightly above at near 50 F so today is quite nice...

Reply to
dpb

"Snag" wrote: ...snip...

30 minutes is a (relatively) long time. When I was in the service in AK we had styrofoam lined wooden boxes on our window sills - inside the room. There were holes in the window sills for ventilation. We could chill a room temperature bottle of beer in the time it took to change from our dungaree uniforms to our civvies. A can of soda would freeze and burst in under 10 minutes.

When we'd go outside for bon fires, we would keep the beer near the fire to keep it from freezing. If you opened one and didn't drink it fast enough, or keep it near the fire, it would freeze before you finished it.

Frisbees used to crack when they hit the ground after just a few minutes of tossing them around. We went though a lot of Frisbees every winter, but sliding around on the snow in full arctic gear was just so much damn fun. You could fully lay out for a catch without worrying about getting hurt. Of course, actually catching the Frisbee was near impossible with the gloves on, but that wasn't really the point.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

My main concern about the wood stove is that it's way too big for the current space - and will overheat us . And a room with a red hot stove won't be cool for long ... I have one of my forge burners set up in a turkey fryer-type stand , and have been using it to warrm the room while I do some of the inside stuff . With it turned as low as I can and still sustain a flame it'll heat me out in under an hour .

Reply to
Snag

Open a window. No window? Cut a hole and frame it so you close it up when not in use, like an access panel. It'll all get hidden when you finish the wall, right?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

First window went in today , second one tomorrow . As soon as I can get my truck out

Reply to
Snag

The coldest it's been here in central Nebraska has been about -8º F. We had about 4" of really light snow. It's warmed up enough to crust it so it shouldn't blow around. The weather hasn't been too bad so far.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Yep. When I lived in the Yukon, we always had a bonfire going when we were outside. And a frying fan. When you talked the words would freeze in mid-air. Had to put them in the frying pan to figure out what was being said.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Read any Paul Bunyan stories lately?

Reply to