Windows Between Studs?

replying to Camilo, JL D wrote: I have a similar issue. I cannot nor do I want to cut out studs to add a window. So I plan to install 3 narrow windows beween joists for extra light in my kitchen. An yes, any light is better than none. By adding decorative moldings on the outside of the 3 windows, it can absolutely look like one big window. (I did this once before amny years ago.) Adding 2 single pane windows for insulation is the same idea of adding interior storms to windows in an older house- a good solution if budget doesn't allow ordering special sizes. GO for it and don't listen to naysayers.
On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 15:44:02 GMT, JL D

It may look like the windows in a prison. If you start with a 14.5" stud bay and add another 3" or so of bucking and frame, you end up with 11.5" or less of glass.
On Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 11:16:10 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

And what's the big deal with cutting out the studs? You have to cut an opening all way through to the outside regardless. I don't see cutting through a couple studs being a big deal. Other than that, the work is similar, except tt's actually more work to do 3 small ones, than one larger one. You need to frame and finish 3 openings instead of one.
On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 08:59:27 -0800 (PST), trader_4

As long as you can hold up the roof until you build the header and sit it on king posts. You get a break under a gable but still not enough to bet you won't crack drywall.
JL D posted for all of us...

Only from HomeMoanersHelpless.
--
Tekkie

Milgard will make windows whatever dimensions at no up charge - or at least they used to when I did it 5 years ago. Installed 12 12x12inch windows in a W pattern across adjoining walls - interesting effect - great light - little heat gain/loss.
--
Claudia
replying to Erin, Geometrics Windows wrote:

I know your search for between the studs windows was many years ago, however, if by chance you're still in the market we have between the studs windows! Please visit our website: www.geometricswindowscom or feel free to contact me toll free: 855-809-7179