window insulation kit

does anyone else find these difficult, if not impossible, to put up correctly?! i am putting the tape on my molding since my windows are side-to-side sliders. first of all, the tape is hard to separate. second, do i have to make the film as tight as possible before using the hair dryer? i find that difficult to do.

finally, how tight is the film supposed to be? like a drum, or is it loose? i've tried my hair dryer, and it works a bit, but less as i move away from the corners. i have large windows. help! i'm about to return it to home depot.

Reply to
SeaKan

I find the '3M Scotch brand' product works better than the other products. (I don't work for them). The tape seems to hold better, the paper seems to come off the tape easier and the plastic film is easier to handle. I've been using various types of window films since the early 80's (Winnipeg eh!)

When you put the tape on the window frame - rub the paper on well so the sticky part is well stuck to the frame. Try using a razor knife to get the paper off the tape - just slowly insert it between the paper and the sticky tape. Pull slowly to prevent the paper from tearing.

You don't have to get the plastic flat to gain the air infiltration benefits of using it. Getting it flat is more of an apperance issue - although if it was super loose - it might tend to make noise during high wind conditions.

Try this sequence to install the plastic (this will be very painful for those of you who are not 'detail oriented':

First 'tack' the plastic to the tape at the top centre of the frame (just press it onto about 2" of tape). Then 'tack' it at the top left and top right of the window frame. Once you ensure the plastic is on straight across the top - run your finger along the plastic on the top to seal it down onto the tape.

Grasp the plastic at the bottom middle and tack it to the middle of the lower frame. Pull it down so that it is basically flat on the window from top to bottom. Grasp about 6" on either side of the lower plastic & pull ...very slightly... to the outside edge and down. Then just touch the plastic to the lower tape - don't rub just yet. Repeat on the other side Move another 6" outward and repeat until the entire lower edge is tacked on. You can list the plastic film off and readjust if it does not look straight. Once the entire lower edge is tacked and straight - run your finger along the plastic on the bottom to seal it down onto the tape.

Now on one vertical side - grasp the plastic at the middle & pull very sightly to the outside of the frame & tack it to the side. Tack the rest of that side by slightly pulling the plastic to the outside. One the entire side is tacked - run your finger along the plastic on the side to seal it down onto the tape.

Repeat for the remaining side.

The corners may be clumped with plastic - don't worry about that.

Now, if you want - get the old hairdryer out and start passing it over the plastic - don't get too close or you could melt the plastic.

For heat-control purposes, the plastic can luff all it wants, the tightness is a cosmetic issue: wrinkled plastic is easier to see.

Reply to
Goedjn