window getting wet from inside

Some additional remarks to the topic:

1st the condensating at the windows proves too high air humidity which condensates at colder parts.

2nd to stop condensating by new airtight windows will cause condensation at the next cooler parts - the interior sites of the exterior walls. And then mold will follow. So it would be quite good to have a forced condensation only at the panes.

3rd rip out the upper rubbers of your windows. The little more fresh air you will get in maybe is enough to reduce the air humidity without causing structural damage and mold attack.

4th to insulate the exterior walls by usual thermal lightweight insulation (fiberglass, polyfoam etc.) will not hinder condensation there and can not help against energy losses in spite of the industrial point of view.

We have tested this out by experiment ('Lichtenfelser Experiment', well known in Germany) and practical comparing of appartment houses with and without additional thermalinsulation. Reason: Thermal insulation can not stop IR radiation which causes about 99% of warmth transport. Look to the figure, it shows the temperature at the opposite of materials after 10 min IR radiation with a redlight bulb. Materials from above: fiberglass, styrofoam, foamglass, wood fiber board, solid brick stone, gypsum card board, solid pinewood:

Here you can see no effects of additional thermal insulation of

25-appartments-house 6 (blue line) in 1988 to the heating costs - 1 Million Marks has been spent for nothing! [img:358ddfe6f7]
The link gives some info to get rid with too much moisture in the house:

Mold attack - A Guide

Good luck!

Konrad

Reply to
KonradFischer

Surprised? But true.

Konrad

Reply to
KonradFischer

Define too high air humidity (how can it be humidity without air? :-)

That would only occur if there was no vapor barrier. That's why vapor barriers are there.

An interesting dehumidifier. Would it not only cause mold there????

And you did some measurements on this??

Of course it will not stop condensation, that's why we use a vapor barrier.

That seems to conflict with my physics classes, of course maybe IR has changed in the last 35 years.

I am not sure where you are coming from, but it seems your theories, if I understand them, are not exactly main stream and seem to conflict with most available information on the subject, as well as my personal observations .

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

2nd That would only occur if there was no vapor barrier. That's why vapor

barriers are there.

cause mold there????

Of course it will not stop condensation, that's why we use a vapor

changed in the last 35 years.

but it seems your theories, if I understand them, are not exactly main stream and seem to conflict with most available information on the subject, as well as my personal

Thank you Joseph for your sceptic, humorous and open minded point of view, which I lika a lot. I'll try to answer, please forgive me my poor english, I am not a native speaker and from Germany:

1st Too high humidity is shown by condensate - if its condensates, its too high (for the room and construction behaviour, for the inhabitants security against mold attack) - if not, it may be ok. I will give no rates/numbers/ranges, because condensate is the important thing. And in the material pores humidity can condensate
Reply to
KonradFischer

BAD idea.

Consider Kirchoff. It certainly can, unless it is transparent.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Dear Nick,

thanks for your very critical post. I will add some remarks and as I suppose that you have not read my upper post I will repeat some things (sorry for the audience):

To rip out the rubbers is a very good idea and best practise here in Germany. We have about 50% of all houses attacked by mold. Nearly All of them have one detail common: airtight windows. A lot of old houses had never mold, after changing the old windows against airtight ones, mold attack follows. The ripped off rubber is THE Remedy. And costs nothing, done by DIY.

I know the results of Gustav Robert Kirchhoff. You should discuss the result of this experiment, if you will try to refute me in correct way:

It shows the temperature rising of several insulation boards and solid materials, all 4 cm thick, after 10minutes infra-red radiation by a redlight buld. Temperature is measured at the opposite of the boards. From above: fibreglass, styrofoam, foamglass, solid brick, wood fibre board, gypsum card board, solid pinewood.

Only the solid materials can really hinder IR radiation. The results of the leightweighter are awful, don't you think so?

Further details here: Thermal insulation, airtight windows, damp and mold attack

Best regards

Konrad

Reply to
KonradFischer