Setting inside thermostat?

I was just wondering... Inside my thermostat there is a small dial adjustment. You can move a small metal "finger" around the dial. The dial is marked off from 0 to 1 (.1, .2 , .4 , .6, .9) and shows an arrow with the word "Longer".

Just what is this adjusting?

I'll try to get a photo to link to later.

Reply to
Noozer

Anticipator.

Robertm

Keep f****ng with it and you'll find out what a new thermostat costs....

Reply to
Red Neckerson

It's the heat anticipator. It uses a small current to heat the thermostat slightly when the furnace is running. The idea is to turn off the furnace slightly before the room reachs the set temp. That way the remaining heat will bring it up to the desired temp, not overshoot. Moving it to longer means the furnace will run longer before it shuts off.

Reply to
trader4

that is the heat anticipator. it is usually set by the installer and shouldn't be moved.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Reply to
hvactech2

Well.. It has been. : )

Any simple way for me to adjust it properly?

Reply to
Noozer

The simple way is to find the amp rating of the control you are operating. If you cant find the amp rating then you can take a clamp-on ammeter with ten turns of wire around it and measure the current.

Reply to
Bob

I assume that the controller is on the furnace itself and not part of the thermostat. There should be some kind of label (hopefully) to help out.

Thx!!!

Reply to
Noozer