Why do spinning van roof vents work better?

Sure, but those rotating ones work better.

Reply to
Rod Speed

It has been said (but I've never tested it) that you get better cooling of at least some of the components with the cover on. Hard disks for example I can believe it with. Or indeed anything that doesn't have its own fan.

Never buy the high speed WD drives. I once had a 6 disk array of 1TB WD Caviar blacks. They did have some cooling, although not a fan blowing directly onto them, and every single one failed over 2 years. Must have cost WD a fortune. They were uncomfortable to touch for more than a few seconds.

I also use graphics cards for scientific research and bitcoin mining (used to for that last one - it's not profitable).

You're odd.

Reply to
Joe Silkinson Spoon

Then why do caravans never have them?

Reply to
Joe Silkinson Spoon

Gym Sulkinson Fork wrote

No, because of the worse efficiency of going thru the electricity. Alternators arent anything even remotely like 100% efficient, and neither are electric fans.

Yes, but not the same extra load, particularly given that the van is already a considerable extra drag at anything more than very low road speeds.

Yes they have and the Mythbusters tested it too, but f***ed that up a bit.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Yep, but so do the spinning ones. The fix for that is a door down the bottom that can be closed when the fire isnt lit.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Joe Silkinson Spoon wrote

Because you can look rather silly when he drives off with you hanging on, screaming your little heart out.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Yes you do, but like I said,, the only hot thing in mine is the cpu and it has its own fan which actually works better with the covers off.

Yes, but like I said, mine don't get hot even with the room temp is over 30C

Not with the stuff that isnt in the airflow. Those run cooler when the hot air off them convects out of the case that has no covers on.

Yeah, I don't, but because the data isnt recoverable if they die.

I choose not backup the PVR files, essentially because I would need double the storage and its no big deal if they get lost.

Yeah, that happened with a mate of mine even with drive cooling.

Yeah, and only the duopoly ensured that they didn't go broke.

Yeah, I stopped using the highest speed one a couple of decades ago now. I leave my system on 24/7/365.25 and don't close apps that I wont be using for days and always have enough physical ram so the swap file is never used except at boot time, so I just don't need hard drive speed, the slowest are fine and they run the coolest.

Yeah, I never bothered for that reason. Prefer stock market speculation and made a lot of money from that.

Don't see the point in games and only play freecell pro when watching videos etc instead of staring at the screen.

Reply to
Rod Speed

The designers are too stupid and you don't get the same level of those prepared to spend heaps like you do with boats. Even Winnebagos are much cheaper than the flasher boats.

Reply to
Rod Speed

And what was the result?

Reply to
Joe Silkinson Spoon

so you don't know then.....

You also can hear outside as though a window were open. A barking neighbour's dog coming down the chimney is quite odd.

Reply to
Joe Silkinson Spoon

surely a van, and the spinny thing, are both pretty cheap.

Reply to
Joe Silkinson Spoon

You've been watching too many Harrison Ford films.

Reply to
Joe Silkinson Spoon

Forget now, think it was that there is bugger all in it.

Reply to
Rod Speed

True.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Not the bigger ones.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Nope, we've had a few killed that way.

Reply to
Rod Speed

People hanging onto moving vans?!? Show me a news article, this sounds = really amusing.

Note Americans will be confused here. "Moving van" in proper English me= ans a van which is in motion. Not a van used for moving house as Americ= ans think.

Mind you, the English "removal van" is almost as bad, they don't remove = stuff, they take it from one house to another.

Reply to
Oversized giraffe

More not being able to let go. And not just vans.

Only to a psychopath and it isnt that easy to find now.

Reply to
Rod Speed

??? Because it creates suction where there was none before?

Reply to
FMurtz

Last year I put a batch of biscuits on the dash of my car parked in the sun and they cooked, I would imagine that if there was a wind driven suction device in the roof it would be different.

Reply to
FMurtz