Why do houses burn in a fire?

If y'all are gonna respond to trolls in droves, please at least wait for the funny ones. OP in this thread wasn't even close. Make them work for it. 18 replies in less than 6 hours?

Reply to
aemeijers

First, most of the deaths are due to smoke inhalation, not the fire itself.

Second, most of the framing is protected by 1-2 hour flameproof material like drywall.

Third, as one poster said, it is the curtains, couches, chairs and etc. (called teh fire load) that usually are on fire first.

Fourth, I think you need to re-think your place in this world.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

Remember reading/hearing/watching about Stachybotrys chartarum? Nasty stuff for kids. What about Aspergillus fumigatus and the other not-so- common Aspergillus genus? An almost certain death warrant for immuno- compromised individuals. That leads me to systemic mycoses. Not good news even for people with healthy immune systems.

Mycotoxins kill people, not the mold itself.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

Don't worry, you won't.

Reply to
dadiOH

Nah. Poor kid couldn't get a summer job and thinks he's having fun with us.

Reply to
Frank

Take some pictures of the mold and use a computer to alter them to make them look like the Virgin Mary.

Show these in a public place with a lot of people and yell a lot.

Eventually, you can form a church. That's a place where you can display your Marymold pictures and have people pay you to yell at them. Also serve wine.

People will now pay to see the actual mold, and will (because of the church and the wine) have lost the ability to notice the mold isn't the same as in the pictures.

Many of these people will now pay high prices to remove your mold.

Now you've got no mold but can easily afford to grow more (and buy more wine).

Reply to
Harry A

Rent.

Move down the street when on fire.

Reply to
Thomas

Hey, hold my beer.

I think I got another one.

Don't feed the trolls.

Morons.

Reply to
Steve B

I wasn't feeding the trolls.

I think my idea to start timed fires inside the wet walls to eliminate the mold problem from the wet wood has merit.

Here, take you beer back.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I wasn't feeding the trolls.

I think my idea to start timed fires inside the wet walls to eliminate the mold problem from the wet wood has merit.

Here, take you beer back.

You don't count, DD. You're not the average sucker. ;-)

Hey, I had more beer than this! Where's the rest?

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

re: "Where's the rest?"

Right....Buuuurp!....here.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I dont think this is a good idea. Like others said, mold will be a problem, and sheetrock will fall apart, and lots of other problems. I have a better solution.

Frame the house as usual. Apply a swinning pool liner on both the inside and outside of the studs. Apply sheetrock and siding as usual, but be careful not to puncture the pool liner. Then fill the entire walls with water, and keep them filled. Wood submerged in water does not rot or decay. Driftwood is a good example. If you were to have a house fire, the water would come out of the walls and make out the fire. This is how you do it !!!!

One problem I can see, is how to prevent the water from freezing in winter and pushing off the siding and wallboard. Maybe anti-freeze, or just salt water ??????? OR, have coils in the walls connected to the furnace and that would heat the water in the walls and that heated water would transfer the heat to the house via warm walls.

As a final note, I think the water would serve as excellent insulation.

Reply to
jw

Have you ever considered joining Alcoholics Anonymous?

Reply to
jw

I think he wants everyone to know he's a drunk.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The difference between drunks and alcoholics is that drunks don't have to go to all those damn meetings.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I do. I think they it was made of dry concrete.

Reply to
mm

It burned pretty completely, for being made of concrete (, steel, and glass).

Reply to
krw