whole house fan wiring

I want to install a fan in the hallway ceiling of my upstairs. Do you need to run a dedicated line to the service panel or can you run a hot from a close source like a wall plug or such?

Reply to
lilo

Many of the whole house fans that I have seen are 1/3 to 1/2 HP which is not usually big enough to require a dedicated circuit. However I have seen some wired by others where the lights will dim or blink momentarily when the fan comes on because it shares the same circuit. In other words, the best way to go is with a separate circuit.

Reply to
John Grabowski

On 7/8/2008 5:02 PM lilo spake thus:

If it's a small fan (in terms of how much current it draws, say 1 or 2 amps max.), then you can feed it from a nearby outlet, or a junction box or some such. Just make sure the circuit you're adding it to isn't close to its capacity (meaning the rating of the circuit breaker feeding the circuit).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Yes, but you mean outlet or receptacle. The plug is the thing on the ned of a cord. It makes me think you plan on connecting a cord to the fan and plugging it to an outlet. You're not going to do that, I hope.

Reply to
mm

Most house fans do not require a separate circuit. However the advantages of a separate circuit will reduce the chance of overloading and allow you more control (covering the fan during the off season). You have to consider the fan wattage and the current load on the close-by circuit you wish to use.

Reply to
Phisherman

I guess what you mean is that with a separate circuit you can turn off the breaker and lower the chance you'll accidentally turn the fan on when it is covered. But that only works if you remember to switch the breaker off, and it doesn't require a separate circuit if you don't forget to not turn the fan on, and even if you turn the fan on with the cover on, isn't it just going to blow the cover into the attic?

Reply to
mm