White plastic capped pipe (4.5 inches) in my basement. What is it for ?

It's a nuclear waste disposal pipe for overloads. If the local nuclear power plant blows up, that nuclear waste has to go somewhere. Your basement is one of many places where that nuclear waste will go. That cap will pop off and your basement will fill up with nuclear waste.

Many of your neighbors probably have them too....

Reply to
samsonblack

I have a white capped pipe (4.5 inches) in my basement. All other plumbing are black pipes. The house is fairly new. What is it for and can i use it for a washer / sink drain? Thanks

Reply to
home.view.system

A picture would be helpful but I'm going to take a wild guess and say that's a clean out pipe for any clogs.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

It's your house ! You can darn well use that pipe for anything you want to ! Just do it. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Some newer homes are being pre-piped for Radon Pumps. So that the vent pipes are "hidden", as opposed to run up the exterior of the house, as in a retrofit.

see

Retired

replying to home.view.system, passerby wrote: probably a passive radon abatement system

Reply to
passerby

The pipe is capped. It's neither active nor passive.

If it is indeed for a radon abatement system, it won't become a radon abatement system until it is extended up through the roof.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That is the most likely answer, and if correct then no it won't work for a washer/sink drain.

Reply to
TimR

Why do you say that? I'm not arguing, just looking for clarification.

I know of a house with a basement sink drain plumbed into a 4" cast iron clean out. The clean out cap was replaced with a reducer that accepts a threaded PVC adapter into which the drain pipe from the sink was inserted. It's not pretty, but it beat breaking up the slab to install a "proper" drain pipe. It's been working as a drain for over a decade and still allows the clean out to be snaked if needed by simply removing the reducing fitting.

Why do you feel that the OP's PVC pipe - if it is a clean out - can't be used as a drain?

Obviously he would need to ensure that it is attached to the in-slab pipe such that it drains in the right direction. What is your reason for the blanket statement that it can't be used?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Can't be used within code perhaps??

Reply to
clare

Dump water down it. Lots. See what happens.

Reply to
Thomas

Would you care to elaborate on that suggestion?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Are you retarded? Run a hose in it and see if it is clear. Fuck. It is big enough to take a shit in. If it backs up, quit.

Reply to
Thomas

If it's clear, clear to where?

Only a moron would just keep pouring water down a pipe without know where it goes. Do you fit that description?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I do fit that description. Chances are it is not going to run out in his living room from the basement.

Reply to
Thomas

So you're saying that you're a moron? It's interesting that you admit that.

OK, so you've eliminated one exit point. Do you think that there might be others?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

No kidding. Or even ask a neighbour whose house is same build .. Google image search for "radon pipe" returns a lot of photos with large white vent piping ... John T.

Reply to
hubops

I would have no problem pouring water in it to see what happens if it were my house. I'd run a hose in it and look around. If it backed up the drain i s no longer a drain. If it came out in the driveway or yard maybe it was pl anned for a sump. If it did not come out where I could see it and kept flow ing freely I would let my washing machine take over. Forever.

Reply to
Thomas

Morons. Just to top it. Demos. Same thing.

Reply to
Thomas

Sure is hard to tell who you are talking to/about. Are you familiar with the concept of including some of the post that you are responding to so we have some context?

Oh wait... I guess not. You already admitted to being a moron, so not knowing how to post in usenet fits your low level of intelligence.

Reply to
DerbyDad03