Whirlpool washer whine - motor coupling? pump?

Our whirlpool washer (direct drive) was making a whining noise, and then quit altogether. I found that the motor coupling had broken, so I replaced it. That worked, but it was still whining. I had not noticed the whine before, but my wife (who does most of the laundry) said that after the coupler replacement, it seemed to be louder. After a few loads of clothes, she noticed water on the floor, so I pulled it apart, and found that the pump had failed. It was real weird - it looked like the plastic had melted, and there were these blobs of dark colored melted plastic on the outside. So I figured, "hey, I guess two things can go out at once", so I replaced the pump, and all seemed well. The whine was gone, and the washer worked. My wife called this morning to say it was whining again., but still working - so far.

Anyone have any idea what in the world might be going on here? Everything seemed fine with the motor and such - all the parts came off and went back together pretty easily, nothing seemed bent or broken or otherwise amiss.

Reply to
robert.macnutt

I replaced the coupler and the water pump (twice) on mine. Never had any "whine".

I hope you shopped around for the water pump. Prices vary dramatically. The first time I replaced the pump I paid full retail at the local appliance parts store. The second time I shopped the internet and found it for half the price. The other day I saw a pile of them, brand new in boxes, for 4 bucks each, at the local surplus store. I picked up half a dozen. I figured if the pump went out twice, it will go out again (I tend to keep my appliances - the dryer is now 27 years old).

Did you notice that the new replacement coupler you bought looks different from the original one? Or was the original so chewed up you couldn't tell? They re-designed the coupler since the failure rate was so high. Any Whirlpool washer owners reading this thread? Look under your machine. If you see a pile of black rubber crumbs, your coupler is self-destructing. It won't be long now...

Reply to
Ether Jones

OP, you can see if the new pump you installed is giving you problems by removing the attachment clips and swinging it aside, then put the machine in spin. The basket will begin to rotate, but since the pump is not attached to the motor, it will be silent. If the sound is gone, the pump is the problem and you should replace it.

On the other hand, if the pump you installed is not correctly seated with all 4 feet firmly against the motor, it can make some noise. To seat is correctly, give it a whack with your hand, or just remove it and install it again.

Reply to
nospamtodd

It seemed to seat pretty firmly, but I'll certainly give that a try.

To the previous reply: I paid at the same local appliance parts store where I've been buying parts for years. Their prices I've found have always been reasonable, and they've been very helpful with advice in the past, so I like giving them my business. There's only one other parts store in town, and the few times I've checked with them, their prices have been higher. Unfortunately, when you have laundry piling up from a family of five, you don't have the luxury of waiting on delivery of a part ordered on the Internet, or happening upon a good price at an unlikely place.

Reply to
robert.macnutt

I hear you. Fortunately for us (also family of 5) the leak was small enough that we could simply put a towel under the leak and wait for the part ordered from internet to arrive. It was less than half the price than if purchased locally.

There are many on-line applicance repair sites that not only sell deeply discounted parts, but also offer excellent help for DIY'ers. Their advice, I have found, is superior to what is available locally.

Reply to
Ether Jones