Whirlpool A&E FACTORY SERVICE Outrageous pricing

I scheduled a service call through whirlpool web site (A&E FACTORY SERVICE) for my 5 year old side by side fridge. They wanted to charge $236 for replacing a compressor start relay: $50+ for part and $173 for labor. Needless to say I declined the estimate. I called around and found the relay for $36 and replaced myself - 5 minute job. I'm NEVER calling these guys again. I know they don't work for free but $170 for a few minutes job - seems over the line.

Reply to
Uncle Ziba

Yes, Grasshopper, you have realized the true and deep meaning of the mantra, "Do-It-Yourself". Enter in and enjoy satisfaction of accomplishment... and keeping your money in *your* pocket!!

Reply to
C & E

I've pulled several of my own teeth, planning on grinding my own corneas to prescription next week too. Hell, I've got a pocket knife and a lathe, f*ck em. In all seriousness, whatever. I don't know where the hell you got "a few minutes" from. Who's paying them for travel time and parts acquisition. Who's paying the overhead? That's how business works, and there is nothing outrageous about it unless you're completely ignorant of what it costs to run a business. These same people are paying out the ass for whatever services products you provide too. It works out in the wash.

Richard Perry

Reply to
RP

I paid them $65 for coming out and making an estimate. I had the refrigerator rolled out and the cover removed before they came. Even the guy agreed that it was too much and I'm not the first to refuse their estimate, but corporate dictates what he should charge. I only have to pay what I think is fair. Don't get me started on what I think about dentist charges for pulling a tooth :)

Reply to
Uncle Ziba

$65 isn't unreasonable. They guy who came out would go out of business in the first month if he went out on his own. While I don't like to pay the dentist, I at least understand that if he didn't charge what he did, then he wouldn't be available to fix me up, because he'd be doing something else that was profitable. Running a business is quite expensive. The owners also have service providers to pay, who aren't bashful when it comes to billing them.

Richard Perry

Reply to
RP

I have a business servicing laminating machines that apply plastic to paper, a great example is a menu. I charge 90 bucks a hour, with no travel charge if its close by.

Now that sounds like a lot, till you compare me to the competition GBC, who charges $250 for the first hour....

that makes me look cheap

Reply to
hallerb

I'm guessing that they live in bigger houses and drive better cars. As long as they can keep themselves busy they aren't going to drop their rates, and as long as you don't care that you're cheating yourself out of the living that you deserve you aren't going to raise yours :)

Richard Perry

Reply to
RP