Which comes first? The brick or the stucco?

We are doing some remodeling on the outside of our home, which includes new stucco, some brick facing, new concrete driveway and patios and landscaping. The entire lot has been cleared of all old concrete, grass, plants, etc... As my wife says, we are living on planet dirt!

The house has been sandblasted, all new windows, doors, vents, fascia and trim installed (whew that was a lot of work). The house was just brown coated which finally brings me to my question.

Next up is brick facing going 1/4 - 1/2 up the walls on parts of the front of the home, brick planters in front of the facing, driveway, patios and of course the dash/color coat stucco in La Habra "Aspen" color. My stucco guy and brick/concrete guy both want to proceed in a different sequence.

Brick/Concrete guy: He of course wants to get in there now that the brown coat has been done and get the facing and planters done, then let the stucco contractor color coat, then he will come back and do the driveway and patios.

Stucco Guy: He wants to wait only a week after the brown coat and get the color coat done then let the other contractor do the brick and concrete work.

Me: Wants it done right and clean.

Wife: Just wants it done!

I see advantages and disadvantages both ways and could really use some advice/suggestions on this. If brick guy gets his facing done now he does not have to worry about getting mortar on the finish coat stucco and I am sure that makes his life a little easier. Stucco guy likes that my lot is bare and there is no concrete, brick or landscaping to worry about and of course would like to get in and finish coat so he can get final payment. He did a reasonable job protecting my windows and doors, but I still had some cleanup to do (I am admittedly a bit anal about the new windows and doors I worked so hard to install).

I would like to know what the proper sequence should be to produce the proper/best look overall and specifically the transition from stucco to the brick facing and of course would like to avoid stucco on the new brick/concrete and/or mortar/concrete on the new finished stucco.

As a secondary question, is it ok to let the brown coat cure only 1 week before color coat? It is quite hot here (high 80's to mid

90's) and after only a few days the brown coat is rock hard and by appearance fully dry. Does it need to cure for a full 30 days or is one week enough time as he says.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or advice offered. (flammers and trolls excluded of course)

Patrick

Reply to
ng

Stucco is messy, id probably do stucco first, get the mess cleaned up and no worry of concrete brick damage. The brick work is clean work compared to throwing stucco.

Reply to
m Ransley

Is the brick "facing" conventional brick veneer, or some other material? Have the respective contractors agreed on how to handle the junction between the birck "facing' and stucco in terms of drainage plane(s) and flashings? If so, does that affect the best sequencing for the applications?

Michael Thomas Paragon Home Inspection, LLC Chicago, IL mdtATparagoninspectsDOTcom

847-475-568
Reply to
MDT at Paragon Home Inspection

replying to ng, Houstonbrick wrote: Adding the higher elevation material is always practicedo. Let stucco contractor complete work,clean up,collect 90% of earnings, you keep 10%. After brick is installed and pay your stucco man. Stucco may miss details that your brick contractor cannot afford to miss. Control joints, transition bar ,were stucco meets brick,needs to look clean. Mason Crew, LLC in Houston can certainly help with advise at

Houston brick repair is our specialty.

Reply to
Houstonbrick