Where to get LED Pole Light Bulb/Fixture

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 03:05:36 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa wrote:

I'm a few years younger, but I too recall when they actually repaired cars at the service stations. Now they sell hot dogs, groceries, beer, and smokes besides the gas. And wuto repair shops dont sell gas.... I am mostly sensible. I dont think this LED things in not sensible, actually LED lighting is the future. Incandescent is being phased out, and CF is actually old technology in a new package, which has a lot of faults, such as not working in cold temps, burning out prematurely if turned on and off regularly like in a batheroom, can not be dimmed, and other problems, not to mention the mercury pollution. CF bulbs are also more of a fire hazzard than incandescent. Some people dont believe that because the incan bulbs are hotter, but I personally have had 2 CF bulbs literally go up in smoke, one spweing sparks all over the place. LEDs are more energy efficient than any other lighting, work in all temps, are not influenced by constant on off cycles, can be dimmed, and can come in all colors, and last forever. There are few drawbacks with them other than lacking a pure white, but that will be worked out. They will become the next form of lighting. I dont dount they will make round "lightbulb shaped" LED cluster bulbs. The technology is still under development but it's getting good now. The street lights are quite good, stage lighting is almost all LED these days, and the christmas decorations are very colorful. Not to mention hos long a battery powered LED flashlight lasts compared to the traditional bulbs.

Reply to
jw

What is the big worry about the electronics? All you need to operate a LED bulb is the LED itself and one resistor for every LED. Aside from lightning damage, they will last forever, and if one of the LEDs does die, the others still work, and only a very small amount of light is lost. Look at these sidewalk solar lights. One small solar cell charges them and they last all night. Those things will likely last forever too, except for the Nicad battery in them. Most people will toss the whole light because of a bad battery, but the batteries can be replaced. I have taken apart several of them, and even modified them.

Reply to
jw

I believe in LED's for flashlights,indicators,and decorations. Every LED nightlight I have bought starts out with adequate output...but dims to useless. I won't waste the money until they are usable. And I don't doubt it will happen, it's just that China is flooding the market with crap.

Reply to
Bob Villa

e:

What is the life expectancy of resistors? How well do the handle surges, spikes, low and high voltage and extreme temps- -20-130? Leds last but I have questions. Im sure they will eventualy get thing right , but these are my concerns.

Reply to
ransley

=A0

Active component (LED) would fail before a passive component (resistor).

Reply to
Bob Villa

All you need to operate an LED is a resistor, sure, but it's a lot more complicated if you want to operate it efficiently or from a low voltage (like your NiCd).

Reply to
krw

You got that right. Aside from lightning or severe voltage spikes, there is little chance of failure. Resistors are pretty stable and rarely fail aside from overloading them with excessive current.

Solid ON, LED light circuits do not contain ICs which are the most prone to failure from power spikes, (except) the stage lighting variety which likely contains ICs and capacitors for dimming purposes.

Christmas LED lights are the same. If they are always ON, they are just LEDs and resistors, with some series wiring to cope with 120VAC. The Christmas lights that flash, or have markee functions DO contain LEDs. There are several articles on wikipedia about LED christmas lights and other LED lighting.

Hell, I may just make my own yard light if I cant find something to buy.

Reply to
jw

I was talking about lower end of likely power requirement, based on

100 LPW, which is high end of actual lighting class LED bulbs and fixtures out there now. This is even including a lumen of cool white LED light typically achieving more nighttime outdoor illumination than a lumen of mercury light, due to mercury's low scotopic/photopic ratio.

A 175W mercury achieves 48-49 LPW, more like 44-45 LPW after ballast losses. If not for cool white LED light being more visible to night vision than mercury light is, an LED fixture would need 84 watts to produce as much illumination as a 175W mercury fixture with the same light distribution pattern.

One more thing: 175W mercury fixtures often waste light into directions where it is not needed. LED and halogen fixtures are generally not as bad in that area. That can reduce the power requirement of an LED fixture being used to replace a 175W mercury fixture.

But beware the hype many LED bulbs and fixtures have for light output and life expectancy!

Reply to
Don Klipstein

Resistors produce heat - a waste of power. Electronics that use inductors or high leakage reactance transformers or flyback-type transformers are used instead to waste less power producing heat than resistors do.

Reply to
Don Klipstein