LIke Jeff, AC awaits me!

Like Jeff Thies, I too hope to put in AC this summer,

but unlike him, I plan to let a more experienced guy finish the job. (Especially since anyone is more experienced with freon, unlike Jeff.)

This weekend, I visited friends, who have two 24,000 BTU compressor/ condensors, one for each zone of a 3700 sq.ft house, installed together, used no more than one summer, 5 years ago, when they first bought their current home, which is abbut 30 years old.

Then, I think they had electric heat, which costs a fortune, so they switched to geothermal for heat and AC. And they seem happy with it.**

The two condensers were totally disconnected, and the lines crimped.

I only need one of them.

A) They were told the freon is still in the condensers. Surely some was lost that was in the evaporator and the lines when the crimping was done. Can my installer use all of what is left or will a lot more get lost when the condenser is re-insstalled?

B) What do you think a fair price would be for one of the two. It's Armstrong Air 24,000 BTU. model SCU10G24A-1 I will remove it, with my handtruck and probably with the husband's assistance, since it's one story up the hill on a flagstone walk with plenty of bumps and grass in between.

I'll try to find out what it cost them, but because 2000 is divided easily, maybe assume that and tell me what percentage of the cost of the part, to them, I should pay. Or maybe what percentage of the whole AC installation that they paid (which included two systems, maybe two new evaporators too. But they haven't found the paperwork yet.)

****(The geothermal uses the same ducts, and I suppose a different A-coil, and I'm guessing the old A-coils were removed by the geo-thermal guys, but the condensors are still there. There is also a pair of vavles beween the A-coil and the two wells that were drilled. (I think they are still a-coils, right, but they aren't evaporators anymore because the fluid isn't compressed.)

Thanks.

Reply to
mm

5 years old and not currently operational? There's a non-trivial chance a motor will seize when they're restarted.

Not much. In that situation, I'd be happy to save the hauling and disposal fees ;-)

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

First I'd say what it cost them is irrelevant and they probably don't even know, since most of these are quoted installed, without the unit price being shown.

I'd look at what similar units are going for used or new sold by some individual, no warranty, on Ebay or Craigslist. I'll bet it's not much too, maybe 25% of the cost of a new unit from one of the online AC wholesalers.

Reply to
trader4

I want to make it clear that you have crossed the line here. You didn't use my sig or even my email. And you did it just to puff yourself up.

Nobody needs this.

Unsubscribing, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Yes, I admit it. I was trying to shine in your reflected light. I should be ashamed, but I'm not.

ROTFLOLWTIME

Reply to
mm

The electricty is right there. Could I start the thing up and run it for a second or two, to see if it's seized, without blowing it up for lack of an output for the freon?

(The crimped part on the big pipe is awfully short anyhow. Not sure about the small pipe, but I'm not sure the freon is really still in there, and maybe it would just burst out if it is?)

25% is close enough. There's a good chance they'll try to give it to me for free, but I don't want that

Thanks, and thanks Malcomn.

Reply to
mm

Maybe one of the HVAC guys knows the answer to that, but it doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I'm not so sure about the motor seizing anyway. From what I know of AC compressors, they are a sealed motor, with the refrigerant surrounding the motor and compressor, providing lubrication, etc. Doesn't sound likely to seize to me. I've had window AC units or old fridges that were sitting around for years not used and always started right up.

Since you think they will give it to you anyway, why not just agree that you'll pay them $300 or whatever when you get it installed and running.

Reply to
trader4

Not a good idea.

Kepp in mind there are two components that become vulnerable to failure at an ago of around 5 years. The start capacitor which is inexpensive to replace. And the compressor unit which is very expensive to replace.

Since this is a "friend" situation, offer them a decent price if it actually works after transportation and installation. Everyone will feel bad if you pay them $3-500 and the thing turns out to be dead. If the unit is humming along nicely at your home, you'll be happy to compensate them and they'll be happy to have a little extra dosh.

Worst case, you've wasted some time/effort, and the friends have disposed of a useless piece of junk.

I reckon that's a win-win deal ;-)

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

You're right and so is Malcolm.

There are still other issues. They bought the most expensive house they looked at, and they may have bought the cheapest, obsolescent AC. I have to check with the company to find out details. Plus I learned they are only two tons and I need 2.5 tons. Still the AC cools the house from hot to 72 in 2 hours and maybe I coudl get by with 2 tons on the few days I use it.

I probably can't do this but the advice on how to handle it will be useful on other occasions

Thanks to both of you.

Reply to
mm