where to buy/refill portable propane tanks

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in news:N_QAh.2898$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

I doubt any propane dealer would allow customers to do their own filling. the liability.the hazards.....YIKES!

(all you need is ONE clown who doesn't turn the source valve off all the way,or smokes around the site...)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I wonder if Darwin ever commented to friends about how some human activities were proof of his theories. If he were alive now, he'd be having a ball. Publishing, TV shows, the whole works.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It's more convenient to exchange tanks if you don't live near a propane yard. It may be a lot faster too. Where I live in/ /in NY, there is a company called "Rhino" that has propane tank exchanges outside of almost all stores in the suburbs. I've seen them in front of supermarkets, convenience stores, beer stores, gas stations, the big box stores, one or more stores in strip malls, and just about in front of every other place except maybe clothing stores, but that may change soon. I don't know how big an area Rhino serves.

Reply to
Willshak

I used to take my tank to the local construction equipment rental place for refill, but when we replaced our grill /sans/ tank, I opted to go the swap-it-at-the-store route for convenience's sake. It was cheaper at the outset than buying a cylinder to have filled.

What makes it really convenient at this point is that places like Home Depot are doing the do-it-yourself swap-out where you use a computer terminal to make your swap and the appropriate cage door opens for you to take out a fresh cylinder and put in the empty - 24 hours a day. So when I run out at 10:00 at night in the middle of playing cards, I can get a fresh tank without having to deal with the surly gas station attendant down the street.

Reply to
Kyle

Around here (Phoenix AZ area) they apparently are not allowed to dispense propane after sundown. At least, that is what I was told a couple of years ago when I was trying to get a tank refilled that ran out in the middle of a grilling session. I have no idea why not. Or maybe the guy at the gas station was just feeling lazy that night.

Jerry

Reply to
jerry_maple

That is why you have a spare. No running to the store at 10:00 PM. Everyone has different priorities. I'd rather save the $5 to $10 per tank and have my tank re-filled.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Milk is usually < $2 at the convenience store near me. Grocery store is typically $3.50.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

They&#39;re here in Seattle.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

What a silly question. Here, the biggest c-store chain is owned by a supermarket, so their milk is as cheap as at the parent company&#39;s supermarkets. Two hours away, the convenience stores are NOT like that, so the milk&#39;s more expensive. There&#39;s no way for anyone in this newsgroup to know what the situation is where you live.

Solution: Save the receipt from your next trip to the big supermarket.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Apartment projects on the weekend closest to end of month. Abandoned grills with tanks are routinely left next to the dumpsters by people moving out. (usually in crappy condition from sitting out in weather on apartment balcony, and they don&#39;t wanna risk spilling messy rocks in U-haul truck, or truck rental guy told them they couldn&#39;t haul tanks in his truck.)

aem sends....

Reply to
<aemeijers

Probably an insurance company or oil company anti-robbery rule- no walking out the door after dark. Was the clerk behind plastic? He isn&#39;t gonna give you the key to the tank cage, and you aren&#39;t allowed to take the &#39;empty&#39; tank inside for him to inspect.

aem sends...

Reply to
<aemeijers

Makes sense. Good to know. I&#39;ll keep my eyes open..

My mover suprised me after I had packed all the boxes and he had loaded half of them by telling me he couldn&#39;t carry aerosol cans either. I&#39;m positive he didnt&#39; say anytyhing before that day. I had no idea in which boxes the cans were so I lied. It was May. Nothing exploded, I&#39;m happy to say.

Reply to
mm

Wow. So my friend&#39;s statement isn&#39;t ridiculous. Since she lives in the same city I do, it&#39;s probably true here too, even if the price diff isn&#39;t as much.

Thanks.

Reply to
mm