Where is a "safe place" to dispose of 14 oz. propane tanks?

Thanks

Reply to
mm

hey ship all the used tanks to me, i will take them all for free, disable them and sell for scrap weekly.

nice side income:)

Reply to
hallerb

I suspect you mean "donor" which is the source tank.

The rest of your advice sounds unsafe.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sorry. I was drunk and missed the part about the 14 ounces.

Reply to
willshak

A new propane tank is mostly full of liquid. As you draw propane gas off the top, some of the liquid boils to replenish the liquid, and the pressure in the top part of the tank is the vapour pressure of propane at the current temperature.

Now, if you refill this at your local propane supplier, he'll use a pump that provides more pressure than the vapour pressure of propane. This is enough to re-liquefy the propane left in the tank, plus add a bunch more liquid propane. If the operator's not careful, an old-style propane tank can be filled 100% full of liquid, with no gas space. This is an explosion hazard, because any temperature rise will cause the safety valve to open or, if it fails, actually generate thousands of PSI and split the tank.

The refill operator is *supposed* to weigh the tank on a scale and stop when the tank plus propane weight indicates that the tank still contains about 20% gas. The newer tanks with OPD valves actually have a little float that shuts off the liquid flow when the liquid level gets as high as the float.

Now, when you're refilling a small tank from a large one, you don't have the mechanical pump, but you can still generate higher pressure in the large tank than the small one by a difference in temperature. And you can still fill the little tank 100% full of liquid under some circumstances.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Martindale

I know you did. I just like to point out errors with humor rather than venom.

Reply to
Robert Allison

When refilling devices are outlawed, only outlaws will have refilling devices.

Reply to
mm

A little known fact about the Second Amendment - orginally it was penned as follows but then altered just prior to publication:

A well regulated grill being necessary to the enjoyment of a cheaper vacation, the right of the people to keep and bear refilling devices shall not be infringed.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Thanks. Now I understand that exhibit at the National Archives.

Reply to
mm