Where do I get cholorine bleach?`

I've been told that chlorine bleach will kill the moss (and other green stuff?) that is slowly eating my cedar fence rails, and very very slowly my fence posts. Only the ones that don't get much sun.

But where do I get chlorine bleach? Even CLORox has only sodium hyposulfite. And this isn't the Ultra, which I think is meant to be color safe.

Although there is no H in Clorox.

When did it happen that they took the chlor> Chlorine and liquid bleach are one in the same.

> Actually they aren't. The term "chlorine bleach" is actually a misnomer. What's in

the bottle is sodium hypochlorite, the active ingredient in liquid bleach. Although chlorine is used to manufacture sodium hypochlorite, there is no free chlorine in bleach.

But on another page it refers to sodium hypochlorite killing fungus.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

the bottle is sodium hypochlorite, the active ingredient in liquid bleach. Although chlorine is used to manufacture sodium hypochlorite, there is no free chlorine in bleach.

Hi, Javex is Chlorine. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

My old chemistry professor always told us bleach actually worked by oxidation. If you ever spilled any in your trunk you know what he meant (rust)

Reply to
Greg

Cl2 + 2NaOH --> NaOCl + NaCl + H2O

chlorine and sodium hydroxide form sodium hypochlorite (bleach) plus table salt plus water.

sodium hypochlorite is bleach.

meirman wrote:

the bottle is sodium hypochlorite, the active ingredient in liquid bleach. Although chlorine is used to manufacture sodium hypochlorite, there is no free chlorine in bleach.

Reply to
John Smith

Just use cheap household bleach, dilute 50-75% and spray in a garden sprayer. Clean the sprayer out with water, bleach is hard on them.

Reply to
m Ransley

might look into asphalt shingle fungicide, or simply bare wood fungicide at your local paint store.

What's in the bottle is sodium hypochlorite, the active ingredient in liquid bleach. Although chlorine is used to manufacture sodium hypochlorite, there is no free chlorine in bleach.

Reply to
bumtracks

What's in the bottle is sodium hypochlorite, the active ingredient in liquid bleach. Although chlorine is used to manufacture sodium hypochlorite, there is no free chlorine in bleach.

You can get stronger liquid chlorine from pool supply places

Reply to
SQLit

Chlorine is a gas. In order for it to be usable, it has to bind to something in solution. bleach is chlorine bound to salt in water. Sodium Hypochlorite is chlorine bleach. If you let ordinary bleach evaporate, the residue left from it is just salt.

-Jen

Reply to
Aquarijen

This is wrong. Sodium hypochlorite is not just salt with chlorine bound to it. It is a specific ion, ClO-. Decompostion leads to chlorine liberation which is promoted by acids. The hypochlorite anion, ClO-, is a powerful oxidizing agent on its own. It is the ability to oxidize and destroy many orgainc materials including bacteria, which make both chlorine and hypochlorite so useful.

Gary Dyrkacz snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+

Gary Dyrkacz