when to put in new antifreeze\coolant

I have allways changed antifreeze annually but now it is very difficult for me to get under the van. How often do y`all recommend draining and refilling the radiator? Thanks for any reply.

Reply to
herb white

I have it changed about 2 or 3 years keeping an eye on the reservoir if it should need any.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

I've never had a goal of more often than 2 years, and for a long time, I've not met that goal either.

I don't drive many miles, but I buy my cars 7 years old and keep them until theyt're 14. The last one lasted until it was 16 years old, and it was the only one with substantial cooling problems but they were not caused by failure to change the coolant often enough. (It's a long story)

Reply to
micky

bob_villa

Thank you!

Reply to
bob_villa

How often does the vehicle's manufacturer recommend? They might know something about the matter.

Reply to
rbowman

That's one source. All cars today come with extended, long-life antifreeze. According the antifreeze suppliers, it's good for at least 5 years, 100K miles. I sure wouldn't be changing it every year.

Reply to
trader_4

RTFM to see what you have. Many are now designed for 5 years or even lifetime. I've gone much longer with no problems. Last four cars I never changed it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The last few cars I have had have not had the coolant changed. I had a 92 camry and chnaged it once when I had the timming belt and water pump changed at 80,000, then I traded it off at 190,000 miles. Two others had slightly over 100,000 on them with no coolant changed.

If the coolant needs more added, it is always with the 50/50 mix.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Depends on the antifreeze. I would not change it before 3 years minimum. If the car isn't driven much 5 years would be ok. That assumes regular Green Antifreeze. I see many newer formulations of "long life green" types that say up to 150,000 miles. Don't recall how many years.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I test antifreeze with PH strips. When it gets acidic it is time for a change. You can also test antifreeze with a multimeter. Set your volt meter for DC. Put one lead in the antifreeze and the other on the metal shell of the radiator. If you measure a couple of volts (like 2 volts or so) it could be time for a change.

Reply to
Paul Marks

Very interesting. I'lll try that.

Thanks.

I was supposed to change my coolant last fall,. maybe. Unless it has the long-life stuff in it. It's a toyota and the fluid is red, but I dont' think that proves anything.

Reply to
micky