When's a Reciprocating Saw Blade Worn Out?

Well, it WAS sort of a dumb question. When it smokes and doesn't cut well, replace it. They cost what, a buck fifty?

Reply to
Ron Tock

Very helpful. I'll put that down as you don't know either.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Hall

And you're here because?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Hall

I'm sorry. Does anyone need your permission to exist, or to speak, or to point out the lack of thought implicit in your original question?

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall find unending amusement."

(Wish I knew the source.)

barry

He's my assistant

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You can sharpen those blades, you know. Do you have a tiny rasp?

Reply to
tm

Thanks to all who tried to help. FYI, the reason I asked instead of simply buying a new blade was because we've moved and I won't be needing a pruning (4 tooth) blade much anymore and the hardware store near me only sells them in $20 packages. I'll try the big box store next time I'm near one, and someone suggested Sears. I'm a little leery of Sears stuff nowadays but maybe they sell a brand name like Milwaukee (I think mine came with the saw) or DeWalt, etc.

When I used to come here for help this was a friendly courteous group with essentially no sickos and trolls. Boy, has that changed.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Hall

You can say that again Ken.

Sometimes I wonder if our First amendment rights are all that good a thing.

Too many guys here sound like their entire alimentary canals have gotten reversed. Sometimes the group emulates my memories of a middle school cafeteria.

BTW, since it's a 4 TPI blade, and if some of the "set" is worn off, you can probably bend the teeth (alternately) to the sides a bit by clamping the blade in a vise with just the teeth protruding and carefully tapping on them with a suitable punch and hammer.

Back when hand saws were far more prevalent special "saw setting pliers" which were used to bend the teeth sideways after sharpening them were quite common.

They're still made (in China, where else?) I guess:

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia