What to use on exterior Teak furniture?

I don't want to use "plain linseed oil" but something that has some other benefits. I'm looking at Cabot Teak Oil or Cabot Australian Timber Oil. Anyone ever use these products?

Reply to
poison_1024

They would probably do a good job, but I've never used them. I've had good experience with Penofin oil.

Edwin Pawlowski

Boat stores carry Teak cleaners and oil, you want to really clean it first, you have 4 options , let it go gray, clean only , clean and oil and marine varnish, which peels in 3-6 years.

Reply to
ransley

Not specifically those, no.

What "other benefits" do you have in mind???

Reply to
dpb

Boat shop Teak Oil. easy to use no big deal to do once a year, I would stay away from any kind of varnish as mentioned.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Reply to
roemax

Nope, but I grew up on boats, and spent every summer of my life cleaning and polishing teak. It's one of the reasons I don't own a boat. :)

Go to a boat store and get some marine teak cleaner followed buy a lot of teak oil. It's an easy, albeit tedious process to clean and oil the teak each year, but it's much better to clean it annually (if you don't like the gray, which I don't) than varnish it, imho.

has a good guide for how to look after your teak. It's oriented around boating purposes, but the information should be applicable.

Best wishes,

Donna

Reply to
Donna

The "other benefits" that I am referring to is better UV protection, break down and preventing of green or black mold/algie from growing on it.

Plain old linseed oil does not have these extras.

Reply to
poison_1024

Yes definately no varnish on something that sits in the sun!

Reply to
poison_1024

in message

I called a local paint shop and they said Cabot's Austrialian Timber Oil is superior to any of the Teak Oils (including cabot's.) They claim it will last twice as long as Cabot's Teak Oil.

I also looked into Sikkens Teak Oil - $30 a quart!!!

Reply to
poison_1024