What to Use as 'Moulding' where Existing Ceramic meets New Granite

12-year old house: At the end of a major kitchen remodel, (cabinets and granite tops) we now have a sloping gap that goes from 1/16 to about 5/16 inch (in a span of 7 feet) between the nice new dark granite backsplash top and the bottom edge of the existing white ceramic 4-inch tile back splash. The orig. floor, cabinets and counter-top are level. The (12-year old) ceramic tile was not installed square to the floor. I can place the edge of a level in the horizontal joints of the tiles and see the pitch...ugh. So far, I have considered applying a bead of clear paintable (DAP) caulk in this opening. I "thought" the granite company was to have made accurate templates for the back splashes they installed.

Thanks for any ideas, Gary

Reply to
GaryK4GPB

Does the face of the back splash match the face of the exiting tile? Is there a tile trim piece that could be set against the face of the tile and sit on the backsplash? TB

Reply to
tbasc

The tile is the usual thickness; the granite is about 3/4-inch thick, so the trim piece idea would be just fine. I just am stumped as to what would "look" OK to cover the tapering gap that is about 5/16-inch max., with drywall showing.

maple cabinets black-gray-green granite white tile stainless sink white appliances under-cabinet track lighting

-Gary

Reply to
GaryK4GPB

rip out the tile and do-over correctly? that would give you a chance to use tile that more matched the granite.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Check with the granite company, or a tile shop near you. There are caulks that come in the various colors of grout used these days, you should be able to get a decent color match w/o paint.

Reply to
John Hines