What to do with unused electrical wiring

Hopefully there's a quick and easy answer to my question that I can't find on the web. I'd like to remove a wall switch controlling a light in my house (it's a 3-way switch and I decided I don't need this end of it). My question is what I need to do with the wiring to the switch. It will still be live because the circuit will still be active. Do I need to pull it all the out from the electrical breaker box? Or can I just tape it up, maybe put a plastic wire nut on it and leave it inside the wall? I have very basic electrical skills (can wire lights, outlets, etc.) so let me know if this is beyond my expertise. Thanks in advance for the help.

Dave

Reply to
davemohamed

RBM

Yes, the only thing I'd add though is that as you are selecting the two wires to wire-nut together, have the remaining switch in what you want to be the ON position. Otherwise, Murphy's law will kick in and you will wire nut it so you have to flip the switch DOWN to turn the light ON and it will drive your wife nuts until you fix that.

Reply to
autonut843

Best thing to do is leave it alone in case you change your mind or sell the house and the next owner wants it. I can't think of a singe reason to take it out even if not used. If your wife has a headache, would you cut your testicles off because they are not needed right now?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If your wife has a headache, would you cut your

I hear that's the real reason we invaded Iraq.

Reply to
CJT

We don't do things like that. We did cause Sadaam to lose his job, exiled his family, confiscated his money, evicted him from his homes, killed his children, and clapped him in a cell. De-testicling him would be excessive.

Reply to
HeyBub

be aware that codes may require a 3 way switch at that location, like both top and bottom of stairs.

why remove the switch? it accomplishes nothing but creates a later problem at home sale time

Reply to
hallerb

then you'd only have to turn the switch over.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Maybe she's Italian. :-)

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

Oil half, two agree.

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

There are several good reasons.

To deny control access in an area, for safety reasons, is one.

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

Yeah, but I wouldn't wire nut the two testicles together. That could hurt. Just cut em off.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

if the area has windows and its daylight it doesnt matter.

if its a public space and someone enters the area and falls you will be found liable might cost you tons of bucks.

a locked door, a alarm , or other efforts may be a better choice

Reply to
hallerb

Not counting 3-way switches, the major cause of having to put the switch down to light the room is buying NO and FO switches in the first place. Be sure to look at your switches before you buy them.

Reply to
mm

I believe you are misreading the post you are replying to. By the phrase "To deny control access in an area" I suspect the OP means to deny access to the control of the lighting in that area. This is usually done to prevent unauthorized shut down of the lighting in a public space. As an example the US NEC forbids the use of multi point switching on required Emergency Lighting Circuits. So when a building that has previously used individual battery pack emergency lights is converted to centralized emergency power; such as an inverter array or generator; there are often dozens of three way and four way; or two way and intermediate; switches to be removed.

Reply to
Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT