What size bin? related question

I filled a 14 yard bin with the tear-out waste from a kitchen and dining room. It contained the cabinets, laminate counter and the lathe and plaster from the walls and ceiling for a 10x20 room. The bin was full to the top. I was charged extra for being overweight. Did I get ripped off? The maximum weight allowed was 4000 lbs. They said I had

4500 but I don't believe them.

How much do you think it weighed? I would have guessed less than 3000 lbs.

Cam

Reply to
cam.barr

How much it weighed depends on how they weighed it -- full and empty, as for gravel trucks?

Reply to
Don Phillipson

14 yards = 378 cubic feet. Pine is about 40 pounds a cubic foot so if it was packed solid, it would be about 15,000 pounds. Plaster is probably over 90 pounds a cubic foot. If it was 10% plaster, that is3800 pounds right there. Sounds like you got the right price.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If there's a "penalty weight" over 4000, then I would suspect they deliberately chose that weight as a pricing trick. Something close to, but below, what the typical user requires. Kind of like leasing cars with free miles that are below what most people drive.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

When they billed you extra they should have provided the dump ticket, at least the ones around here do. If they didn't, ask for it, your entitled to it before paying for it. All the landfills around here give you weight in, weight out tickets, thats how they bill the dumpster companies.

Reply to
Brian V

Why do you suspect that? I've loaded plenty of containers that are much larger than that with much less weight. Depends on your use. They should tell you up front what the deal is and you plan accordingly.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

They offered to fax me a copy of a dump ticket but how would I know it was mine? I can see being overweight if I was excavating or tearing down brick but a kitchen/dining room can't weigh that much in my mind. I'm going to switch companies, I just can't trust these guys.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Cam

Reply to
cam.barr

The ticket will have a time stamp, possibly the container number. The ticket is made out by the company receiving the load, not the trucker.

Figure the weight. Just the plaster alone from the walls can be 2000 pounds. Did you take down the ceiling also? Add another 600 pounds. Now it is sounding more like they are correct.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It's too late to weigh the dumpster yourself because it's gone.

You could weigh your house and compare it with what it weighed before you removed the cabinets.

Reply to
mm

Don't bother -- the OP is convinced they've been ripped off, and came here for us to rubber-stamp their premade opinion. No amount of convincing is going to change that. Another innocent company gets blackballed.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

Perhaps you're right Tim but what company was that?

Cam

Reply to
cam.barr