What's the life of a carbon monoxide detector?

Sounds like the flu

Reply to
LouB

Beebop down to the Borg and get a digital. It will tell you in sixty seconds what your CO level is, even if it's three points under the danger level, which the audible only won't. It's your life. Spend ten bucks more.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I have "Nighthawk" digital readout CO detectors on each level of the house. I replace them at around 10 years. These are plug in and have battery backup. I cycle the older ones to the attic, basement, and garage. My hard-wired smoke detectors are over 20 years old, but still work fine. I know that because the SWMBO attempts to cook something once in awhile. I think WalMart has the recommended "Nighthawk" CO detector with digital readout, about $40. Use the upholstery vacuum attachment and dust off and test detectors once a year.

Reply to
Phisherman

To answer my original question,l the fire department said the lifespan of a CO detector is 5-7 years.

Reply to
Mitch

Hmmm, Then you call FD.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Several years ago I bought glass ampules containing a defined quantity of carbon monoxide from a fire department supply house...extinguisher recharging, etc.

The ampule and the CO detector are placed in a known volume container (a ziplok like bag.) The ampule is then broken and the time to an alarm is measured. Since I have a wood stove in my bedroom, and use several cords each winter I repeat this test every other month throughout the winter. No detector faults so far.

Boden

Reply to
Boden

If you ever need help again, do not hesitate to ask.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

How do you kn...... oh, nevermind.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Open the windows for an hour. Let in some fresh air. See if that helps. It may be a very low grade toxic, and blowing the house out may give you a couple days relief.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The life of a carbon monoxide detector is empty and meaningless.

Reply to
tmurf.1

On 4/30/2008 10:11 AM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

(Asked in reply to statement about how I know that dizziness and nausea are sure signs of CO poisoning.)

Story is I was working for a guy out in the country and staying at his place. One morning we both woke up feeling like shit, massive headaches, both wandered outside separately and puked. Turns out he had just gotten a new propane-powered fridge that he'd neglected to vent properly. Phew!

Reply to
David Nebenzahl