What paints best, galvanized or straight. Bumper Chrome paint

What paints better, galvanized or straight? Bumper Chrome paint?

HD calls them flats, but I don't know what they are really called.

Pieces of steel, 3 or 4 feet long, an eigth inch thick or so, and an inch to a half inch wide.

I've used them but this is the first time I need to paint them, for use outside. Which is better, the galvanized or the un-gal?

One pair of these things is going to be painted black for a cargo carrier (attached to the trailer hitch draw bar) for which either I or the shipping company lost two of the parts. If it rusts a little, I can wire brush those parts and paint it again every few years. Or should I use a primer?

The other is a bracket to hold rear turn signal lights that I just bought for my still-working-on-it '69 Honda. I have a can of aerosol Plasti-kote Bumper Chrome paint that I got at a yard sale. Never been used.

I don't expect real chrome!, but will it at least look something like chrome for a year or two? Or will it turn grey immediately? If large parts of it are going to be grey, I'd rather just paint it black. The can says "Chrome-Like Finish / Brilliant Luster", but I've seen other chrome paint in the past that pretty much looked grey. Don't know how old it was though.

I don't plan to ride in the rain, and I plan to keep the bike covered whenever I'm not riding it. I've been good about that since I got it

3 or 4 months ago.

The instructions don't say anything about priming first. Do I need to prime it? Should I prime it?

Thanks a lot.

Remove NOPSAM to email me..

Reply to
mm

"straight" paints easier and hold the paint better....galvanized needs no painting.

Doesn't look like chrome at all, just looks like silver. I'd go with the black.

No.

You should at least wipe the item to be painted with some kind of solvent, such as acetone or laquer thinner, prime, then paint as soon as the primer is dry. Primer will not seal the surface and it will begin rusting immediately.....unless it's galvanized, then don't paint it.

Reply to
Bike Guy Joe