What paint mask?

I have some respiratory issues. Can anyone recommend a good quality paint mask that will prevent the inhalation of odors from paint.

Regards,

Robert

Reply to
Nospam

Are you spraying or what, a 3m Fume cartrige filter mask you get for apx

16-30 works ok. But it is not clean air. For all day spraying a air hood with remote supply is best, for ocasional exposure a 3m cartrige unit works fairly well.
Reply to
m Ransley

I am simply using a brush and roller.

Thanks, Robert

Reply to
Nospam

Any mask rated for fumes, not just particulates, should do fine.

Reply to
NickySantoro

You might want to check with your physician first, as using masks requires a certain respiratory capacity. If you have had resp. function tests, the results should help your doc give you an answer. What kind of paint do you anticipate using?

Reply to
Norminn

In my experience the type of paint makes an incredible difference. I once used a exterior primer and a 3M fume mask. The fumes penetrated the filter in a matter of minutes. The filter cartridge still smells like the alcohol solvent. I had to toss it. If I had respiratory problems I would make or buy an air supplied mask (sometimes called a fresh air mask) that uses a full mask that is supplied via a tube with fresh air delivered via a squirrel cage fan. Use lots of ventilation and protective clothes, shower immediately etc. or hire someone else and leave the house for a week/month. Richard

Reply to
spudnuty

of odors from paint.

No specific models; I'll just echo what earlier posters said about a cartridge-type filter rated for fumes, not dust/particles. Also, I'd recommend "Kid's Room" paint - don't remember which brand, but it was one of the big names. We recently painted a living room with this, and it had some smell, but not nearly as much as standard paint. Or look for other low-VOC paints - maybe not available at the big home centers, but if you look around, they're available. Or look into milk paint - very safe. Hope this helps, Andy

Reply to
andynewhouse

clipped

Any kind of filter type mask is a barrier to breathing - it requires more effort. Someone with reduced resp. capacity is limited a bit more, although it might not be to a difficult degree. In any case, I would save the paint job for good weather when the house can be left open for ventillation - fall is nice, dry weather so the paint dries quicker and fumes can be replaced with fresh air. Of course, if one's resp. capacity is severely limited, the solvent fumes are replacing a tad bit of oxygen the person is already deprived of. Pacing one's self, to spread out the work, might also be necessary.

Reply to
Norminn

Go to a good paint store...not sure what you have in your area but some of the stores are Dunn Edwards, Sinclair, Hirshfields, H.I.S., Pioneer, Benjamin Moore, etc, that only sell paint and professional painting equipment. I believe you are looking for some sort of carbon filter cartridge but it has been too long since I painted to remember. Like someone said, it will tell on the product label what it's for. Get the particulate filter too, which goes over the carbon cartridge. it will keep it free of dust and paint spatters so it works better, even if you're not spraying. Be sure to get a mask that fits good...if it's too big it will not seal to your face. Also, if you can find it, some co's make low or no VOC paint that has less toxic solvent etc in it. (Volatile Organic Compounds=VOC).

Reply to
frippletoot