What looks better?

I am refinishing my kitchen cabinets. What looks better (richer, glamorous, expensive, sophisticated etc.): Volatile lacquer, water-based lacquer, oil-based polyurethane or water based polyurethane?

Sounds silly, but, with all the work involved I want to get the most bang for my labors.

Reply to
Walter R.

Silly boy. Ask your wife-- whatever she thinks is the way to go...

Reply to
Fast Edddie

Very good advice. Have pieces of simular scrape wood and do costing tests. Since I've been married, I've not had to think for myself ever again. :p

tom @

Just Joshin

holy crap

8 coats what are you finishing...............a boat?

a good finish only requires 3 coats a hand rubbed "urethane gel" works better than laquer or poly.. that is what we use in restaurant kitchens.

| > Sounds silly, but, with all the work involved I want to get the most bang | > for my labors. | >

| > -- | > Walter | >

| > - | >

| |

Reply to
3G

I agree with 'ask your wife'. And if she's not sure- follow this advice;

A million years ago I was having some brick work done. The mason asked how I wanted the mortar joints to look and showed me three choices. I asked if there was any difference other than esthetics and was assured there wasn't. So I got SWMBO to get her opinion. Her question was. . . "How would they have done it in a colonial house?" [we liked to think we were 'decorating' more or less on a colonial theme]

The mason never blinked-- 'Back in colonial times, ma'am, the mason would show the lady of the house a few different choices and she'd pick one.' So that's what we did-- just like they did in colonial days. [as far as the mason knew, anyway]

Nobody but you knows what 'looks good' to you. Nor does anyone know what your labor / cash / esthetics ratios are. [I prefer hand rubbed lacquer, myself-- but my cabinets have polyurethane on them. Some things aren't worth the money or sweat.]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht