What kind of clear coat for acrylic paint

We asked an artist to paint a mural on the side of the house. The artist used acrylic paint for the mural, about 4x6 feet. The background is water- based house paint, acrylic or latex (Kelly Moore).

Now we want to put on a clear coat to protect it from dust. I have a spray can of Deft lacquer and also some Deft liquid. Will that be satisfactory, or do I need something else?

TIA

-- Joel

Reply to
default

Dont use laquer, its to hard a finish, the latex will flex and move more than the laquer, its not UV stabil, it might yellow from UV, it might not bond well, it may likely eat at the mural as it cures, which is likely latex house paint, why not ask the artist or call the paint co that made the paint he used, I dont know if anything will benefit the mural but it has to be UV stabil and that means a UV marine type varnish but clear coats never last as long as solid colors, maybe nothing is best. Are murals usualy clearcoated? I think real laquer will peel in sun in 3-6 years and house paint done right might be fine for 20

Reply to
ransley

correct. i had a mural on my house (8'x60') and the artist used spray lacquer on parts of it to protect some of the bright colors in the foreground. it was completely under cover, but turned yellow/brownish in about 4-5 years.

you need to find a uv stabilized clearcoat. most of them are already yellow or amber colored. i haven't ever seen a water clear one but they may exist. you might try calling a major paint manufacturer, like krylon or rustoleum, or stop in a real paint store, and ask.

Reply to
chaniarts

Talk to a pro at an auto body shop. Clear coats on cars are tough, UV resistant and stable, even allowing a bit of flex. If he tells you its hopeless, take him at his word.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

What did the artist suggest?

Reply to
norminn

Clear coat for a car might be as flexible as any regular spray paint, and you wouldnt paint a house with it, it just doesnt flex exough. he used house paint, you dont clearcoat a house, the clear wont last as long as the paint. No clearcoat lasts as long as a paint, the products are missing that makes paint last.

Reply to
ransley

Reply to
la954u