What is the logic of banging DOWN on a crankshaft to remove a flywheel?

So you think using the proper tool is the way to change a flywheel?

You know nothing!

This is how real mechanics work.

tnom

Oh, for god's sake yourself, wasserman. He posted that in one of his attempts he SAW the flywheel flex upward when he applied force incorrectly. That is more than enough reason to replace it.

Reply to
salty

LOL!

Reply to
Ron

I hinted about a new mower upstream. I cautioned the OP about replacing a (potentially) bent crankshaft. I explained the task may require use of a pry and hammer.

Reply to
Oren

TITLE: Flywheel Removal - The Right Way and Several Wrong Ways QUOTE: "The best technique requires a special tool - a flywheel puller; the least preferred method requires nothing more than a hammer and a screwdriver, but can easily result in serious damage to the flywheel and or crankshaft."

TITLE:

"There are several approaches to flywheel removal. The best way by far is to use a special puller designed for your particular engine. Briggs & Stratton and Tecumseh flywheels usually have 2 or 3 holes placed around the center of the flywheel which are used with special puller blocks. These have self tapping bolts which you thread into the holes and then tighten down nuts to pop the flywheel off of the crankshaft."

Reply to
Brent

I forgot to list the reference for the first quote comparing the methods and concluding the special tool was the preferred method.

The second quote came from here.
Both compared the two methods and concluded the special tool was safer.

Do you know of any reference that compares both method yet still decides the hammer and screwdriver method to be preferred?

Reply to
Brent

It isn't a "perfect" means to remove the fly...it is the preferred method. Yes, you can damage the fly and/or crank...just miss-hit a few times (or one good one)!

Reply to
Bob Villa

I was counting that time.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Well, now that you mention it, if he had to have the flywheel off, he probably DOES need a new mower. Especially using the methods he's used.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Hmmm, What do you do when hammer or axe is loose on the handle? Same principle!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi Smitty, I think we all agree at this point on two things:

  1. Most experienced people use the pry-and-bang method to remove flywheels
  2. Clearly it's embossed on my flywheel to use the tap-and-lift method

Further, since I had never worked on a lawnmower before (that's why I asked for advice from you wonderful guys), the pry-and-bang method turned out to be dangerous (since I broke many things trying it) and that the tap-and-lift method turned out (for me) to work wonderfully.

So, I hope we can agree that advice to newbies should include not only the most-often-used pry-and-bang method but also the suggestion to consider the more appropriate tap-and-screw method.

Thank you. My only goal is to get the right answer and to post the results to help the next guy. That's what the USENET is all about, isn't it?

If I had known what I know now, I would never have needed to ask the question. Now I consider myself well versed on the various methods (both good and bad) to remove a flywheel on my particular Craftsman Briggs and Stratton lawnmower engine.

Yes. Completely. I'm sorry it took me so long to understand. I appreciate your patience. I hope the next nntp reader benefits from our wonderful and polite technical discussion.

Jim

Reply to
James H.

That's what you do when the blade gets dull.

Reply to
Bob F

Seriously, he said he SAW the flywheel bend! If he could have actually seen it bend, it's most likely cracked. My guess is he didn't really see it bend.

Reply to
Tony

In my misspent youth, I tried big gear pullers on mower flywheels & as described they will flex and still not release. I have seen one bend, & put it right back into service. It never showed any sign of the abuse and served until the piston ring seal was so poor you had to mow with a screw driver in your pocket to adjust the mixture as it warmed up, at which point the entire rig was retired. I think the fragility of the flywheel is badly overstated.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

One lone example is statistically of absolutely no consequence. I know a guy who chain smoked unfiltered camel cigarettes for over 60 years and didn't get lung cancer, too.

Reply to
JohnnyD

True but it does prove that it isn't an absolute death sentence.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Well, I suppose the Darwin Awards can always use some fodder.

Reply to
JohnnyD