What is FOUR wire Triplex for?

Your original characterization of the so-called '4th' wire was ambiguous. Not even ambiguous, more like (unintenionally) misleading.

Effective communication is a responsibility primarily of/on the sender, only secondarily the receiver.

The sender is supposed to recognize the limitations of the media and know that the receiver cannot see inside the head of the sender to know what he was thinking about when he said what he said.

You said at the opening:

3 like wires and then 'the other' would cause a normal reader to call the other the 4th, different, wire.

Then you said:

I believe that it would be normal for the receiver to interpret that the bare, neutral, different, 4th wire is not connected.

Your original does not 'select' one of the 3 otherwise identical black insulated wires to be the '4th' wire (not connected).

The criticism of the communication breakdown should not be assigned to the receivers comprehension or lack or mind-reading skills here.

It wasn't until later that you began to try to clarify what you were thinking and seeing at the wires.

Reply to
Mike Easter

The power demands of a typical JC penny are going to be greater than the power needs of a bar/restaurant. For one thing, a large dept store has large HVAC needs. Any dept store I've been in would blow away a bar/rest from that standpoint alone. Also, the JC Penny type stores typically have escalators, elevators, etc.

=A0It's hard to tell the age of that cable,

Seems rather unlikely. How could anyone predict decades ago what might or might not go into a building at some point in the future? IF anything it would appear that it was a 3 phase service that was backed down to 240V.

Reply to
trader4

And no connection at the building, in all likelihood.

Reply to
clare

I understand the confusion. We have been talking about a bare wire not connected.

What you describe now is a 3 phase drop, connected to a single phase service. My guess is they had 3 phase in an earlier occupancy and switched to single phase.

Reply to
gfretwell

Then you have a 3 phase supply cable repurposed, and the unused insulated conductor SHOULD be grounded at the(preferably) supply end.

Reply to
clare

In that case, then it may have been 3 phase in the past adn was backed down to single phase since then.

Yep!!!

Reply to
homeowner

What really confused everything is even though it the the description was ambiguous you ran with the "unconnected neutral" and started defending your position. Then later it became the OPs fault that you did that. I suppose thats what personal responsibility means.

Reply to
George

Exactly, the thread grew because trader ran with that and then later declared it was your fault that he did.

Reply to
George

Sure, and it it is the receivers fault if they simply don't ask "what did you mean?" instead of turning it into a 100 response thread about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Reply to
George

I suppose you're an asshole too. Everyone here agrees that the post was unclear not only from the start, but even after the second post. I happened to have one interpretation and for that I'm supposed to take "personal responsibility"? Are you for real?

The poster finally clarified it, but even that isn't enough to make you happy.

Reply to
trader4

Apparently, like everyone else here, Mike agrees that the post was unclear. After 3 posts, the poster finally clarified what he meant. It was all settled yesterday to everybody's satisfaction, except of course, you. So, here you are, bitching because the thread took so many posts. As if this is the first time an unclear question resulted in that. And it's YOU who just made

3 new posts on the thread, not about the result, but about the process. Go figure....
Reply to
trader4

How well did that work out for you?

Early on you asked for clarification and there was no response to your query:

"Likely you mean it has a drop using quadplex aerial cable?"

The very wording of all of the responses, including yours, indicated a lack of clarity in the original post. Don't you think that it is the responsibilty of the OP to read through the responses, realize that he was misunderstood (no fault being placed here) and take steps to clarify?

If my wife says to me "That's a hot dress!" and I respond by asking "Is it made of wool?" isn't it her responsibility to clarify that she was talking about the look, not the material? I didn't do anything wrong and niether did she, but there was a misunderstanding anyway. Since I (the receiver) can't read her mind, it's her (the sender) responsibilty to clear things up.

That was something that the OP did not do until his third post. Now, it's very possibly that the OP doesn't access/respond to a.h.r as often as some of us, so there might be a lot of posts based on the misunderstanding while we wait for the clarification. However, in this case the OP responded (his 2nd post) but didn't clear anything up. At that point, it would be quite proper to place some of the blame on him.

Reply to
DerbyDad03