What is code for lights and outlet?

The room will be a studio for music lessons. In one corner there will be a small room slightly larger than the restroom in an airliner with a toilet and sink. The restroom will have one fan, one light, one outlet. The main part of the room will have 6 outlets and 3 lights. The electrician said it is ok to put everything for the main room and restroom on one circuit, except that the GFI outlet in the restroom must be on it's own line. He didn't mention it having to be a 20 amp line. I'd better check with him. I can easily pull the #14 wire out and have it snake a larger #12 through the wall with no difficulty or I can simply not put an outlet in there at all.

Bob

Reply to
rck

What s an arc fault type gfi breaker? An arc fault is an arc fault and a gfi is a gfi Two different animals two different applications

Reply to
... ...

Excuse me I just re read the first part of your post and wrong again . The code states all bedroom outlets must be on a arc fault that includes lighiting so no seperate circuit for bedroom lighting. ask your local inspector

Reply to
... ...

I cant keep going all day. Who ever said all kitchen counter top outlets must be on thier own circuit? How about two 20 amp circuits for appliance loads ?

Reply to
... ...

yes it has to be 20 amp #12 and the code requires it int he bathroom

Reply to
... ...

There is no code here, no permits, no inspections in this rural part of the country. I just wanted it to meet the code where they do have codes in the civilized part of the world because I like to have things done right. This house is only 4 years old. One 15 amp breaker serves all outlets and lights in both the bedroom and the bathroom including the GFI outlet. Another 15 amp breaker is on a line to the kitchen and living room. It does have a separate breaker for the kitchen counter, and another for the fridge outlet. The work I'll be doing will far surpass the original.

Bob

Reply to
rck

Yes, there is a separate breaker for the washer, another for the stove and another for the hot water heater, although that line was done with surface wire and definitely not to code. That's why I'm moving the tank. Also doing the plumbing over because the hot and cold for the bathroom sink and the tub are reversed. You must consider that I bought this place for $23,900, truly affordable senior housing. Little by little I'm bringing it up to snuff. You should have seen the wiring when I bought the house. A 220 line for a/c hidden behind a baseboard. All wires to all outlets were attached in the opposite direction from how the screw tightens. The front and back porch lights didn't have a ground. The drain waste system from the bathroom didn't have a vent stack. I've already fixed the serious stuff and now I'll move on to putting everything up to code as if it were in a city with codes. The scary thing is that there were four owners who occupied this place before I bought it and they lived in a very unsafe house.

Reply to
rck

I want to thank everyone here for all the help and suggestions. I replaced the #14 with a #12 and now have two #12 going to the new room. I'll use one for the lav which will have fan, light and GFI. As you suggested, my friend was full of whatever and knew nothing about what should be done out there. I phoned the electrician and he said that while there aren't any inspections for homeowners doing over old housing outside the city limits, there is now very strict inspections for new housing in the county, and therefore I should make every effort to meet the new code. As someone else mentioned, one day they might require everything to meet code if I ever wanted to sell. That was the law in other places I've lived. And if it meets the code, it will also be safe, and there is peace of mind in that. The electrician said it's ok to put the GFI on the same circuit as the light as long as it's at the end of the line so if it trips, the light won't go out. Looks like we're heading the right direction. Thanks folks.

Bob

Bob

Reply to
rck