What happens when a generator gets rained or snowed on?

Exceptional ! Some discussions, years ago, in the home-power group seemed to say that a generator can lose magnetism over an extended period of down-time and require a special procedure to "flash the field" to restore it. The advice to help avoid this was to always add some electrical load when test-running it. I keep a couple small portable heaters in the garage for this purpose. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I had the Stanly Steamer cleaners doing some work. they backed up the the garage but made me close the garage door and then they ran a hose from the truck in a door on the side of the house. They said there may be some danger of the CO2 getting in the house if they left the garage door open and ran the hose in the house by the house door in the garage. They had to run the truck to power the cleaning equipment.

My generator is at the back of the house where there are not any doors near them that would be open.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The shelter would be open on three sides.

But what about a luck gust of wind blowing some snow on it?

Those generators run hot enough that incidental water splashing on it will be evaporated right away. Direct rain would not be a good thing. Mine sits under a car port in a 6x6 shelter made of mover blankets, open on the exhaust side but still under cover

Reply to
gfretwell

A 30ft x 30 shelter with the generator in the middle? Or a 3 x 3 shelter? Details matter. With it running or not? If it's not running easy to cover it with a tarp.

Reply to
trader_4